Register

Help finding out what’s under the REW!

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 100.00

Help finding out what’s under the REW!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby WyoWool » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:04 am

Can anyone break down REW color rules for me?

Due to a stroke of tremendous luck, I find three REWs in my barn of great quality. A Doe and her two sons.

I’m having a hard time understanding what “color” each of them are, and as all judges have all commented differently to what color they probably genetically are and also what they would breed them with after viewing pedigrees, I’m even more confused.

Can REW cover over absolutely every color? Are there some color varieties that REW cancels out? If a rabbit is a visual REW, does that change the colors it can pass on? How does REW affect dilutes and brokens?

Thank you all in advance.

BunnyBucks: 389.00

Re: Help finding out what’s under the REW!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Mini Lop Fan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 pm

REW cannot carry anything in the c locus - 'C', 'c(chd)', and c(chl)' - because it is completely recessive.

__________ Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 pm __________

REW does hide every other locus (A,B,D, and E), and as far as I know it really doesn't affect dilutes and brokens. Your REW could genetically be a chocolate, aabbC_ddE_, but having the REW, 'cc', masks all the other genes so it LOOKS like an REW.

It could even be a charlie and you still wouldn't see anything, but breed that bunny to a broken, Enen, and you will get a litter of brokens and charlies.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,515.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Dood » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:56 am

Yup, REW can genetically be ANYTHING

A BEW, a broken a opal, a tort, etc... - every colour is hidden by REW

Genetically a REW = ?? ?? cc ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Only by its parents and offspring colours can you fill in the question marks

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,330.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby hotzcatz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:03 pm

REW is a whitewash, it covers EVERYTHING. Including BEW. What color are the parents? Since the doe is REW what color are her parents? Keep going back until you get colors and that may sort out some of the possibilities. Or, it may not tell you anything, depends on what's there. Otherwise, you may not know until you breed to other colors and see what shows up.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com