How common is swelling in genital area for kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
Its time to sex the 7 week old kits, and I've been taught if you press ever-so-gently just under the genital area, the formation of the sex-based genitals will emerge (taco shape for female, protruding burrito shape for males). This usually works, but once in a while the area looks slightly swollen, like a tight little sphere. When pressing, nothing emerges, no shape at all. I've seen this when the kit has gotten some dried up poop stuck, and after cleaning, it is a little swollen... but then a couple of days later, all is well. But, now I have a couple where it is a little swollen with no dried poop. So, there is nothing to clean.

Has anyone seen this? If so, what do you recommend? It's doesn't look infected in any way... all is very clean and appropriately colored.. no redness, etc. It is just slightly swollen and very tight. Thanks.

Thanks. But they are only 7 weeks old. I don't think they start to mature until after 13 weeks.

Latest posts

Back