Register

Seed Options

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Seed Options

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Jenniferm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm

I just recently got a Flemish Giant. I am looking into planting seeds for him. I also do this for my tortoise. I found this:

[*]https://www.seedsnow.com/products/all-in-one-bunny-garden-variety-pack[*]

Does this seem good?

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,057.00

Re: Seed Options

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:11 pm

It looks good, I grow some other things, [but i feed rabbits without pellets most of the year] sugar beet, Jerusalem artichoke...
and... cornstocks, green or dry..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Olepapablue » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:17 pm

We are brand new to rabbits. Are all beets good for them? We are debating mangel beet along with sugar beet. Are all corn stalks good also? I have 5 varieties I could plant from an early sweet to a very long season black corn. Wondering which would be better if any difference for fodder? As to sunchoke, what parts are good for the rabbit? The while plant and root or just the above ground parts

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,671.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Rainey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:58 am

All parts of the sun choke are good rabbit feed. We also feed turnips and sweet potato, tops and roots. We gather lots of our natural feed from what is already growing wild--bramble berries, willow, chicory, dandelion, etc. You haven't shown your location--what you'll find growing wild depends on where you are

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,057.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 am

Olepapablue wrote:We are brand new to rabbits. Are all beets good for them? We are debating mangel beet along with sugar beet. Are all corn stalks good also? I have 5 varieties I could plant from an early sweet to a very long season black corn. Wondering which would be better if any difference for fodder? As to sunchoke, what parts are good for the rabbit? The while plant and root or just the above ground parts

to me, corn stalks, are corn stalks-- I feed them green, until they are dry, then I harvest and store the dry corn stalks for winter feed. In my estimation,[because i grow my feed] the greatest value of cornstalks, is long stem fiber. The other nutritional values are less important. For me, ..Rabbits seem to eat sugar beet, more readily than regular beets, or stock beets. Likely because, i use them as the "prime source" of calories [energy] in their diet. Other beets contain much less energy . I have fed "stock beets" in the past, with good success.. but not as good as "sugar beets" ..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.