Broomstick Method

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Fan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I need some tips on dispatching a particularly active rabbit with the broomstick method. I have only culled one very sick rabbit using the broomstick method, and it was fairly easy to keep her still. Well I have this one practically wild rabbit--I think she might be a Tennessee Red back rabbit?--and she is mean and likes to bite. I got her as a rescue with her babies, but since she is not the breed I raise she is just too mean to be kept as a pet and I don't know anyone who would want to buy her.

Anyway, long story short, I need some tips to keep her still so that her demise can be as humane as possible.

I feel that my most humane and quick use of the broom stick method is when I hold the stick down with my knees rather than my feet.

If I have a hard, non-muddy surface on the ground, I can squat down and hold one of the "broom-stick" under my knee. I prefer this because If gives me both hands to control the rabbit at an easy reaching distance. If I hold it with my feet, it seams a stretch to get to the rabbit. Where as holding the stick with my knees keeps everything close.

Using feet you are able to apply more downward force on the stick, but I do not think this is often a problem. I could easily apply enough force without bruising my knees. I do admit, the largest rabbit I did using the knee variant of the broomstick was around 10-12 LBS. If you are dispatching a large rabbit such as a Flemish this would not be the best.

Just remember the head should be towards you with rabbits feet away from you. The pull must first break the vertebrae. Only after that, should you actually pull the feet away from the head. You break the vertebrae by bending the neck "too far" in the "wrong direction". Just as your neck can only bend so far, the rabbits neck will also have a limited range of motion. It is forcing it beyond it's natural limit that will shatter the vertebra. This will put the rabbit into unconscious shock. Follow this with a firm tug and death will come mercifully quick.

Just remember you don't need to hold the stick down that hard to bend the neck "too far". With both hands you can control the rabbet better.

Yeah, I really don't want to as she is healthy, but she eats a lot of food and takes up space.
I am going to list her on craigslist and try to sell her. If she doesn't sell in week (more or less), she is going to be broomsticked.

It ended up that I did cull her. It took me a bit to get her properly secured, but it felt like it was a clean and humane dispatch.

I don't mind a broomstick for younger animals. For a mature rabbit, or a wild one like you describe, I have a decent air powered pellet rifle to smooth things along. Highly recommended if you plan on doing a lot of it in the future.

Latest posts

Back