Cinnamon rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridget118

Reaction score
I think I may have a cinnamon rabbit. I was told she was a new zeland meat mutt. But her body and coloring look cinnamon to me. I guess my question is do cinnamons have a grey or blue belly or are they white?

Cinnamons have a gray belly. A lot of rabbits can come in that color pattern though (called tortoise). Color-wise, its only one gene away from New Zealand's red. Unless you bought her as a cinnamon it is highly unlikely she is one; Cinnamons are a rare breed.

Genetically what is the difference between a cinnamon and a new zeland red? <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm __________ <br /><br /> Dont new zeland reds have a white belly and less rufus?

In terms of simple color genes a new zealand red is A_ B_ C_ D_ ee with a lot of rufus and the recessive at wideband to color the belly red. A red belly is desired.

Any tort of any breed is aa B_C_ D_ ee. Cinnamon rabbits are tort and have a lot of rufus as well.

Most breeders who tell you they are giving you a mixed breed, truly are giving you a mixed breed. There simply is no reward in claiming a rabbit is a mutt if it isn't.

Sometimes sneaky people will claim a rabbit is purebred because of it's looks, when it really isn't. That's why pedigrees are so important when it comes to breeding show stock.

Genetically, a meat mutt with the exact same tort coloring as a cinnamon would very likely also be carrying a lot of undesirable recessive genes that would be detrimental to the cinnamon breed's gene pool.

Genetically Tortoise (the color that cinnamons are) has the self gene while Reds don't. Red new zealands have a lighter belly and lack the dark shading. Pure new zealand reds should have reddish bellies and pretty high rufus but reds/oranges in other breeds or poor quality ones can have white bellies and/or less rufus.

Latest posts

Back