Register

can rabbits eat Lychee fruit seeds?

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,840.00

can rabbits eat Lychee fruit seeds?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:53 pm

I have done a quick search but am not getting any info either way.

They are in season right now and I hate throwing the seeds away so it would be nice if Geno bunny could eat them. :D

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,473.00

Re: can rabbits eat Lychee fruit seeds?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Zass » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:10 pm

People can, so I suspect it would be worth a try for rabbits.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,780.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby hotzcatz » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Personally, I'd not try it. Unripe lychee can be toxic and that's the fruit part, not sure how the seed would be. Here's an article by a biologist about the toxicity of lychee and a related ackee fruit. [url]https://owlcation.com/stem/Lychees-and-Ackee-Fruits-Toxins-and-Their-Effects[\url] Since an unripe fruit can be toxic, who knows how that would relate to the seeds.

A friend killed off a couple of his rabbits by feeding them too many cotton seeds. He figured cotton seed oil is edible, but didn't notice it had special processing requirements to be edible.

Plus, usually seeds and grain are a more concentrated feed, bunnies are usually better off eating much lower on the nutrient density scale. I'd still not feed them lychee leaves, though. If unripe fruit is toxic, I'd be suspicious of the leaves as well.

But, if you do feed your bunny lychee seeds, let us know how it works out.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
Zass

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#4  Unread postby GBov » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:24 pm

I decided to just compost them (and plant four to see how they do as house plants) as he is fat as a house right now on nothing but kitchen scraps and hay.

The fruit is delish and is in season so my greengrocer is ordering them in for us. :D

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,473.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Zass » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:51 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I actually confused lychee with a similar looking asian fruit (who's seeds are edible only after cooking, btw) Rhambutan.

Some part of my distracted brain mixed all that up.

Sorry for the careless comment; I'm really glad no one's buns were poisoned!!!

Post Number:#6  Unread postby GBov » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:52 am

Zass wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I actually confused lychee with a similar looking asian fruit (who's seeds are edible only after cooking, btw) Rhambutan.

Some part of my distracted brain mixed all that up.

Sorry for the careless comment; I'm really glad no one's buns were poisoned!!!

No worries! As they are in the soap nut family I was dubious at best so erred on the side of caution and didn't feed them but when we have pigs again they can give them a try. Pigs seem to be better able to tell good for them from bad better than most livestock. Or perhaps they are just bigger and can take more.