can rabbits eat Lychee fruit seeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have done a quick search but am not getting any info either way.

They are in season right now and I hate throwing the seeds away so it would be nice if Geno bunny could eat them. :D

Personally, I'd not try it. Unripe lychee can be toxic and that's the fruit part, not sure how the seed would be. Here's an article by a biologist about the toxicity of lychee and a related ackee fruit. https://owlcation.com/stem/Lychees-...y lychee seeds, let us know how it works out.

I decided to just compost them (and plant four to see how they do as house plants) as he is fat as a house right now on nothing but kitchen scraps and hay.

The fruit is delish and is in season so my greengrocer is ordering them in for us. :D

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I actually confused lychee with a similar looking asian fruit (who's seeds are edible only after cooking, btw) Rhambutan.

Some part of my distracted brain mixed all that up.

Sorry for the careless comment; I'm really glad no one's buns were poisoned!!!

Zass":340qsv44 said:

I actually confused lychee with a similar looking asian fruit (who's seeds are edible only after cooking, btw) Rhambutan.

Some part of my distracted brain mixed all that up.

Sorry for the careless comment; I'm really glad no one's buns were poisoned!!!

No worries! As they are in the soap nut family I was dubious at best so erred on the side of caution and didn't feed them but when we have pigs again they can give them a try. Pigs seem to be better able to tell good for them from bad better than most livestock. Or perhaps they are just bigger and can take more.

Back