Breeding Black Magpie to Blue?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allie

Reaction score
I know blue’s are typically used for black and blue otters, black silver and blue silver marten’s, opal, chestnut, squirrel, chinchilla, and occasionally chocolate - but what would happen if you bred a Magpie (preferably the black Magpie) to a blue? I’m in the Netherland bred. Thanks!

Blue is two genes being expressed: the black base - dominant, usually notated as B; and the dilute gene - autosomal recessive, usually notated a dd since it takes two copies, one from each parent. The dilute gene also makes lilac on the brown base gene (bb) so don't be surprised if you get a version of lilac.

So, if your black magpie is homozygous for black - BB- and also homozygous for full color vs dilute - DD - breeding a blue - B_ dd - to it will most likely result in all blacks in the F1 gen - B_ Dd - which carry the dilute gene and if crossed to another blue will throw some blue babies.

I haven't looked into the magpie genetics, but I certainly am trying for solid blues here, so have the color genetics for that down cold.

I believe Black Magpie is A_B_c(chd)_D_e(j)_ while as dfr1973 said Blue is aaB_C_ddE_. Unless the magpie or blue carries some recessive genes (particularly 'a', 'd', or 'e'/'e(j)') You will most likely end up with AaB_C_DdE_, which is just a Chestnut Agouti that carries some recessive genes.

However, if you kept one of the kits and bred back to the black magpie, you would most likely see the 'c(chd)', which is the shaded gene, and 'e(j)' harlequin gene resurface, meaning you could possible get more Magpie kits.

If you kept a kit and bred back to the Blue, you would see the self gene or 'aa' and the dilute gene 'dd' in the kits, which would show itself as self blue, self black, or opal.

I hope this is helpful
And if I made any mistakes, please correct me. ;)

having bred blue to a black magpie you'll get a lot of black. If the blue carries agouti you'll get chin and chestnut. Mostly chestnut.
if the blue has magpie you'll get more black magpie, or possibly chestnut with some magpie markings (which look really cool, but annoy true agouti lovers). :)

keeping the best of the offspring and breeding back to the magpie will get you more magpie. :)

Can I ask why you want to breed these? Magpie and harlequin are not recognized colors in any other breed but the Harlequin breed. Therefore you cannot show them.

Can I ask why you want to breed these? Magpie and harlequin are not recognized colors in any other breed but the Harlequin breed. Therefore you cannot show them.
First its a japanese not harlequin( thats a breed) second people breed japanese to get tris. An magpies are very sort after even though not showable

Back