Mini Lop ears won't flop???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Fan

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a Mini Lop litter that is now six weeks old. All of the kits but two have flopped ears. For some background on the parents, I have had two litters with this pairing before and although they are not pedigreed they are purebred as far as I can tell. (the owner assured me they are, but some breeders are willing to lie on stuff that can't be proven.) In all the past litters all of the babies ears flopped, but not now.
I have heard several places that it can take up to 12 weeks for the babies ears to flop, is this true? Also, if it seems that they aren't purebred and the upright ear gene is resurfacing--which is odd because I thought I had heard that it was dominant--Then how much do you think I should discount the babies for? All of them have buyers who have already placed a deposit, but they are all pet owners so they wouldn't necessarily care...? :oops:
Also, the kit I have labeled broken orange, I suspect may not be. It has a darker nose, tail, and ear tips, so I would appreciate some help with that as well!
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 2.03.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 2.05.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 2.07.00 PM.png

Ear carriage is not dominant

It is a polygenic trait that has several genes involving position on the head ("crown"), strength of tendons, ligaments, cartilage etc....

Even the kit with lopped ears has a poor crown so I'm surprised upright ears haven't happened more often in their litters

Pet buyers likely wanted a lop eared bunny so you should notify the buyer and give a full refund if they request it

The orange looks orange rather than tort, just with some smutt, but only test breeding can confirm.

PS I think the chestnut is actually a harequinized chestnut

Okay that makes sense. And yes they have really poor crown--these are not my show rabbits (obviously) but they are really good pet rabbits with very sweet personalities. I will let the buyers know now. Thanks for that information, it makes SO much more sense that the genetics controlling ears are polygenic.

Also, just out of curiosity, what makes you say the chestnut agouti is harlequinized? (I have include some other pictures of her to help with giving a definite answer)

Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 2.44.58 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-12-06 at 2.42.54 PM.png

I've had harlequinized chestnuts in the past. You can tell when you look at a chestnut when you see shading. It can be very subtle.

I see what Dood is talking about and think also harlequinized chestnut. It sometimes becomes more apparent as bunny ages, and sometimes (for whatever reason) seems to disappear. The fact that you have a harlequin in the litter reinforces the harlequinized chestnut factor.

But, unless you are selling the kits NOW, give them time. I've had holland lops drop their ears as soon as they move to a new home, or at 12-16-20 weeks. The longest I had one go was 11 months. Talk to the prospective owners and let them know that most anything could happen with their ears, and ask if they care.

Thanks Dood and Ladysown! It is very likely that it is a harlequinized chestnut agouti because the sire was e(j)e and the dam was Ee. Thanks for telling me how to spot one! :D

Latest posts

Back