Identifying peanuts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keiraash13

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my second litter of mini-lops. First beautifully healthy. This is to a first time mum, my lovely Ripley; a sooty fawn, Dad Hicks is a chestnut agouti. Ripley kindled five lovely wriggly kits this morn. Three are smaller, just than the other two. Just curious as to how you identify peanuts? They all seem to be wriggly and healthy. Advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• CFE63CE4-5161-48C2-ACF8-86A458DCA3C5.jpeg
    CFE63CE4-5161-48C2-ACF8-86A458DCA3C5.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,228
In the American Mini Lop you can't get peanuts because you have to have two dwarf genes to make a peanut. Now I don't know the differences in the British Mini Lop, but I would assume it isn't a dwarf breed either.
However, you CAN get runts in any litter. The differences between runts and peanuts are that the peanuts are genetic based and it is almost impossible to save them. Runts you can save because most of the time they just aren't getting enough food. (Although sometimes it is a medical reason)
You can identify the runts from the rest of the litter by how tight their stomachs are after being nursed. The ones that are well fed will have a nice bulging stomach-it is pretty cute. I will include a picture of a well fed one. :) The ones that are not well fed, will be thinner and smaller.
Here is a good article with pictures: https://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbits ... birth.html
Here is another good article about the dwarf gene and peanuts: https://www.raising-rabbits.com/dwarf-rabbits.html

Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 2.41.15 PM.png

when i breed the does, i breed several does within a 2 day window, when the kits arrive , i equal out the litters, and size the litters. [unless i want to save some doe's kits for replacements] I put all the smallest kits together on one doe, and then the next size up, and so on. The small kits will grow just fine, because the competition is equal.

Mini lops in the UK do have the dwarf gene
None of those look like peanuts to me, though. Peanuts usually have a larger, rounder top to their skull and very tiny, pointed ears that are set further back than usual.

Thank you for that clarification! Like I said, I knew there was a difference, but I wasn't sure if that difference included the dwarf gene. :)

Thank you all for your help. I did rule out peanuts based on ear size and hind legs! I think UK mini-lops are more like Holland Lops in the US.
Thank you again for answering my queries. This is a great group.

Mini Lop Fan":1m8ucu98 said:
I would love to see some update pictures when they get their fur in. :)
Please see attached. Struggling to identify the colours too! Haha! apart from the black! I will get better at this...

Attachments

• D57C0559-349F-4650-B1AA-6188BB57CAC5.jpeg
    D57C0559-349F-4650-B1AA-6188BB57CAC5.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,149
Clockwise from the top
Looks like
Black Tort /sooty fawn
Black
Siamese sable
Siamese sable (or possibly seal but based on baby picture I don't think so)
Siamese sable

Can you post pictures of the parents? It is do you didn't get any agouti based colours with a chestnut parent

Dood":1slqw1sx said:
Clockwise from the top
Looks like
Black Tort /sooty fawn
Black
Siamese sable
Siamese sable (or possibly seal but based on baby picture I don't think so)
Siamese sable

Can you post pictures of the parents? It is do you didn't get any agouti based colours with a chestnut parent

Please see below.
Sire VM chestnut agouti
Dam black tort

Attachments

• 7A83CBF0-2859-4BF9-B257-92181E07C9A5.jpeg
    7A83CBF0-2859-4BF9-B257-92181E07C9A5.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 5269A9F1-48AB-4152-9E2E-5772344A8844.jpeg
    5269A9F1-48AB-4152-9E2E-5772344A8844.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,130

Latest posts

Back