Register

First Bot Fly--photos included *GRAPHIC*

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
BunnyBucks: 140.00

First Bot Fly--photos included *GRAPHIC*

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Mini Lop Fan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Sooooo, today I had a *pleasant* surprise, my super sweet NZW buck has a bot fly maggot burrowed in his testical.... This is my first bot fly problem ever, and I am not sure how to treat it. I have been doing some research, and I know the basics. I think I am going to opt for the treatment described in this article: https://iamcountryside.com/homesteading ... s-rabbits/ Mostly because I am extremely nervous about pulling it out of his testicle, I don't want to damage anything.
Has anyone had to deal with that? I need some tips on what medicine those of you who have gone through bot flies have used.

Also, I took some pics of the what it looks like. Poor guy, it is super swollen. Anyway, I have question, what is that yellow pus on the far right on his swollen testicle?
IMG_20191012_170232832_HDR.jpg
yellow pus?
IMG_20191012_170232832_HDR.jpg (235.62 KiB) Viewed 175 times

IMG_20191012_170203008_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191012_170203008_HDR.jpg (296.9 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,796.00

Re: First Bot Fly--photos included *GRAPHIC*

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:49 am

Normally ..( And i do not recommend this) you enlarge the opening the bot has made, and carefully pull the bot out with a tweezer or hemo..
In this case, i would treat the infection.
, And let the bot mature and leave. With out sutures and lots of follow up, the buck could become castorated, and or infected.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Mini Lop Fan

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,460.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Dood » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:05 am

Because of location, I also think you should let it emerge on its own or just treat the infection and be sure no other flies lay eggs in the wound AKA "fly strike"

For bots in less sensitive areas of the skin, you can pack the wound with salt, add a tiny bit of water to get the salt down deep, and after a few minutes, the bot practically crawls out on its own and it at least makes it easier to pluck them out

Salting the scrotal sack will likely damage the testicles but is an option if you want to chance it

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
michaels4gardens, Mini Lop Fan

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Mini Lop Fan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks both of you. I may try doing the salt, it depends on how long it takes for them to come out. One is already out and another one looks to be very close to coming out. I am treating it with Vetercine, is their any other medicine I should be using?
And does anyone have any advice on bot fly prevention? I do NOT want this to happen again. :)

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,796.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:57 pm

I use injectable bovine ivermectin,[sub -Q] a couple of weeks after i first see bot flies in the cage area,
so much easier than dealing with a bot larva.
If you notice an infection, i would treat with an antibiotic, [and probiotic].
Just in case you don't know, if you are pulling a bot out - be careful, the reason i enlarge the opening is.. if you rupture/ rip the bot,
it quite often, causes the rabbit to go into shock and die.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Mini Lop Fan

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Mini Lop Fan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks! It definitely seems to be getting better and healing up fairly quickly. I sincerely hope I NEVER have to deal with this again.

The following user would like to thank Mini Lop Fan for this post
michaels4gardens