Register

New to the forum

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
BunnyBucks: 140.00

New to the forum

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ScarletAcres » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:22 pm

Hello, thank you for the add to the website. It's nice to be somewhere other then fb what with all the changes going on there.

I run a simple small homestead, seven rabbits (three
bucks with one being mini rex, one lionel head, and the other palomino, and four does one mini rex, two palominos, and a suspected mini satin). I also have a breeding trio of guinea pigs which I am very new at. The rabbits I have been working with for at least five years with show and meat.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,578.00

Re: New to the forum

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Welcome! I'm a show breeder (Himalayans) myself, nice to see other breeders on here. Palominos are lovely
Show Breeder & ARBA Judge

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,816.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 am

welcome...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ScarletAcres » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:58 am

michaels4gardens wrote:welcome...
SableSteel wrote:Welcome! I'm a show breeder (Himalayans) myself, nice to see other breeders on here. Palominos are lovely

Thank you for the welcome, it's always nice to meet fellow breeders. I considered Himalayans at one point myself. I'm still fairly new to the show world and considering entering a local show on Nov. 2 with my Mini rexes. Though I'm not sure about my buck. I caught it before it could get severe but he is still regrowing fur on his feet from a near sore hocks case

The following user would like to thank ScarletAcres for this post
michaels4gardens

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,001.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Ghost » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:24 am

ScarletAcres wrote: I also have a breeding trio of guinea pigs which I am very new at.

What are you plans or lack of plans concerning the guinea pigs?
You have to do the most good for the most. You must remember that a few won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

Post Number:#6  Unread postby ScarletAcres » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Ghost wrote:
ScarletAcres wrote: I also have a breeding trio of guinea pigs which I am very new at.

What are you plans or lack of plans concerning the guinea pigs?

My main plan is to use them as a new source of protein in my cat's diet

The following user would like to thank ScarletAcres for this post
Ghost, michaels4gardens

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,001.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Ghost » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 am

ScarletAcres wrote:
Ghost wrote:What are you plans or lack of plans concerning the guinea pigs?

My main plan is to use them as a new source of protein in my cat's diet

I am interested in GPs as a source of food. My involvement with a GP herd is best explained by this POST

Are you keeping your GPs live in a single communal area, or are you keeping the boy separated from the girls. I like setups where GPs are kept in a single bunch. However, If you are only wanting to produce enough GPs to feed a single cat then a single group would be tricky. The population "can" increase rapidly, if you are not careful (leading to a freezer full of GPs).

I like the single group setup because it lets the GPs live in a situation that is (natural) to them. If watch a group of GPs such as this VIDEO you can see the group dynamic at play. Odiously you would not want a group this large, because a group this size requires a massive amount of culling to maintainer population stability.

I suppose that if you were to keep 1 male and 2 or 3 females in a herd you could move the babies to a grow out pen/herd as soon as they were 'weened'.

If you are interested in a detailed GP discussion, we could start a separate thread on GP breeding, and call it "raising guinea pigs as feeders", or something like that.
You have to do the most good for the most. You must remember that a few won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ScarletAcres » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Ghost that would be an amazing idea! I currently have the Male housed with two girls. Both should be due around Dec about a week apart. I definitely want a main small herd and then a grow out herd where I can monitor individuals for keepers and culls. I do want to keep genetics fresh though so I may set up one other small herd so I can swap in some fresh genetics when needed. I really like roan and would adore getting a roan
/dalmatian boar to pair up with not roan or dalmatian females to safely produce more.