2 fathers 1 litter? Can this happen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
So basically I have been baby deprived for about 3 months and thought it best that today I shall pair my 2 pedigreed hollands. I struggled with pregnancies through the giant cage dividers (It's 3 cages than can have the dividers removed and they bred through the dividers) So I figured to put all my males in here, none of course in the same cage, but they tried to breed each other through the wore dividers. Anyway, I brought my doe over to buck 1s cage and had 4 fall offs in about 10 minutes. My dog wanted in so he could go to the back yard area so I turned my back to open the door. Well, the neighbor, buck 2, managed to jump 2 feet! and had a fall off with my doe in 2 seconds! I've never had this happen and am slightly concerned that he might father part of the litter. Not sure if this is possible, mainly because buck 1 landed 4 fall offs a few minutes before buck 2 jumped in. Is this possible overall?

It's definitely possible, particularly in rabbits.

If the bucks are different colors you may be able to guess whose kits are whose and if indeed some are the second buck's kits.

Well one buck is by far dominant broken, the only other color he throws is when he is pared with my blue eyed black which then I have about a 10% chance for albino but I can't seem to trace which side that's from.

Well if the other buck is solid(not broken) than any broken kit is definitely offspring of the broken buck. Solid kits could be from either buck.

Albino(red-eyed white) is a recessive gene which means both the broken buck and the blue-eyed black doe carry it if they produce REW kits.

Latest posts

Back