What age to breed a standard rex buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim S

Reaction score
From what I've read, I would have assumed six months, but a guy with more experience than I have in this saw my buck yesterday, and said he'd be ready to breed in about a month or so. He's currently 11 weeks old.

although he will probably be "able to breed" at that age,
I would agree with your first assessment ...
JMHO, ...
I have found [in my experience with standard size, meat and fur rabbits] that, "generally" both does, and bucks, have a longer "productive life",
if you give them just a little more time, to develop.

Four months is a bit on the young side for breeding when it's a standard sized bunny, IMHO. I use the four month age as the time when the bucks need to be separated out from the does, but not for actual breeding times. Perhaps he meant that the buck could breed, not that he should be used for breeding?

No, the comment he made was along the lines of "You'll need to get him a girlfriend soon, otherwise he's going to become a handful", which I took to mean that he thought I should, rather than could, breed him quickly?

I'm going to take on board, what you chaps have said, and leave him another couple of months. Just looking at him, alongside the 7 month doe, he's about the same size, but he still looks younger, somehow...

Latest posts

Back