Did I get a REW?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first litter I have had that plays with the nonextension gene and it threw me a curveball. The doe has never thrown a white kit before. She is a black tort (aa B- C- Dd ee). Previous bucks have carried himi and rew. This breeding the buck carried blue, non ext and rew and I get a white kit? Can it be something other then rew?
20190825_183353.jpg
20190825_183518(2).jpg

Yup, that's a REW all right. It was probably pink last week?

Now you know your doe is: aa B- Cc Dd ee If you breed her to a chocolate or one who carries the recessive for chocolate, then you'll be able to find out if she carries that recessive as well.

I have gotten Rew before in my meat line. This was my first full Satin Rew to show up. There was a slight difference side by side with a rew meat kit of the same age, which I negelected to get a picture of, but I didnt know if that was just the difference satin makes to the color. I am waiting to see at this point but eyes are open and no change yet colorwise so it Prolly is a REW.

Are the eyes ruby/red? If they are, then it's a REW. If they're blue, then that's an entirely different genetic way to white.

I hadnt been checking on them much once their eyes start to peek open. The Doe gets a little bitey at that stage. They just started exploring the last 2 days or so.
20190911_185451.jpg
So while cute and quite bold, not a REW. I'm thinking himi most likely.

Himi also should have red eyes
This looks like ermine/frosty to me. That's a non-extension chinchilla (A_ cchd_ ee) with this clean of color it's hard to tell if its black, blue, chocolate, or lilac based (it even could be sable based - A_ cchl_ ee - but that's often not as likely)

That make so much more sense. Thank you! I thought it had to be something with the ee gene but couldn't figure out what. Do frostys normally have/grow colored tips on their coat?
Also works out because the chestnut in the litter turned out to be a rusty chin.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Often they don't get colored tips (esp. on their ears and face) until later in life. In breeds where reds are usually very clean in color (such as mini rex and mini satin) the ermines/frosties usually have little to no smut (colored tips on the coat) compared to breeds where the orange/red is very dirty in color (such as holland lop or mini lop)

Latest posts

Back