Register

Cold turkey off pellets?

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,320.00

Cold turkey off pellets?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby a7736100 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:01 pm

Since I have to go an extra 20 miles to a feed store I wonder if I can just suddenly cut off pellets. They have been getting vegetable trimming and pellets so they are used to eating vegetables. They are not too fond of horse hay. Of course they love the high priced hay.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,558.00

Re: Cold turkey off pellets?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:49 pm

I try to never do anything "suddenly", with rabbit feed...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,075.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby hotzcatz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:54 am

The typical advice is to transition them slowly from one food to another, but there have been times we'd done a drastic change in feed and haven't seen any ill effects yet. However, we've never really been a one feed kind of rabbitry. They start out with a varied diet and that seems to allow them more dietary leeway in changes. A friend bought some rabbits from someone who never ever fed them anything other than pellets and hay, those rabbits didn't thrive on a varied diet and wouldn't eat unless offered the same brand of pellets.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 956.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Ghost » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:34 pm

From what I've heard, with rabbits sudden food changes can easily kill rabbits. Guinea pigs are a bit more forgiving about feed changes, even still I would prefer giving GPs some transition time.
You have to do the most good for the most. You must remember that a few won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,320.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby a7736100 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:32 pm

After a week off pellets I've decided it's just much easier to use about 8 pounds of pellets daily. It takes more time to separate hay from the bale to a day's portion. Even though I can get free vegetable trimmings from the organic food store, it has to be used right away before it starts composting. Too bad I can't just have all the rabbits in a large pen and just toss in a bale of hay and all the trimmings at one time.

The following user would like to thank a7736100 for this post
michaels4gardens