Keep or salvage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
One of my breeding bucks has taken a downhill turn as soon as the hot &humid weather hit. Its his first summer with me. He has gone off feed for 4 days and has stopped drinking. He would "nibble" at fresh greens but not much else. Yesterday I pulled him to force some pedialyte in him and check him over again incase I had missed something. And now hes got himself some discharge from one nostril, sounds wet and looks faintly bloody. . . Do I keep trying? Or do I just put him down and use him for dog food?

Yeah I think that is the plan. Ill put him down tomorrow then, unfortunately Ive never been able to figure it out by hand so a trip out of town with the pellet gun will be necessary.

I've used a pellet rifle indoors. Had the rabbits in a metal wash tub to catch the pellet just in case I missed.

Shea":aniss8st said:
Pellet gun is stored out of town with family at my butcher station. And too many neighbors around to be carrying anything "gun" related.

so glad i don't live in town...
Sometimes all the "local" gunfire aggravates me, and scares the dog, ...
but, .. it is much better than living with the paranoid people, in the city...

Getting out of town is what I want. Been stuck here for 10yrs now, rent free but I have 8 houses bordering my backyard.

I checked his lungs after dispatch, they were dark red and a little streaky. Pneumonia?

Now the big question is do I keep any of his progeny. I already have one of his sons grown out and bred to 2 does just for color test breed, Not a main buck keeper, and he had sired my last 3 litters one with another prospective keeper in it.

lots of health issues are not genetic... they are environmental... dust, mold, a stray germ. --- etc: ...
With that said, I have at times,.. culled an entire line, because they were prone to infections, or too many of them had soft feet...

Latest posts

Back