Do you wash your hands after handling rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I usually don't unless my hands feel icky. The death of a child after being at a petting zoo is scary. :eek:

a7736100":1mpm5g1y said:
I usually don't unless my hands feel icky. The death of a child after being at a petting zoo is scary. :eek:

I'm having a little trouble relating the first sentience to the second sentence. I have a feeling that your post is in response to something that was "blowing up all over your Facebook feed". Being an unFaced person (someone who does not have a Facebook account), I don't know what you are talking about.

Most petting zoos are usually populated my goats and sheep. These animals don't usually harbor diseases that tend to kill people. Unless we are talking about an immune-compromised person. Primates and bats can sometimes (still rare) carry dangerous viruses.

I would say that getting a deadly infection from a petting zoo is not impossible, but very rare. I'm guessing that traffic fatalities are a significantly higher risk.

I wash if...

...I'm handling human food right after
...I'm working between my regular barn and my quarantine barn
...my hands feel "icky" or I cleaned manure trays
...I was butchering

A child dying after a visit to a petting zoo is very scary, but a vanishingly scarce incident. It's not the kind of thing we can spend a lot of energy worrying about.

Neither me nor any of my siblings wash our hands after handling our rabbits, unless we’re doing something afterwards that necessitates hand washing anyway.
However, we do wash after handling rabbits we don’t own, just to minimize risks for us and our own rabbits.

I am probably one of the most germaphobic persons on rabbit talk (most germaphobs are not into farming). I generally avoid touching poop with my bare hands and I will wash/sanitize if I accidentally touch it.

However, even I don't wash my hands after touching the clean fur of rabbits/guinea pigs. If the fur is dirty or if I am treating a sick animal I do wash. I also usually wash before eating. However it is possible that I touched a rabbit, then an hour later, I may eat a potato chip or two without washing my hands first.

It is a tragedy that a young child died. It it is important to teach sanitation to children even though they don't seem to "get it". I remember (from before age 6) I was always putting my fingers and noticing a salty taste of the "dirt" that was on them. To be honest, I am slightly horrified by the memory. Because e. coli was the cause, I would have to imagine that the child got a hold of poop or touched poopy fur. Toddlers don't seam to understand yucky things. I would insist that my child wash after the petting zoo. But as was stated on many of the articles written, only 30% would wash/sanitize afterwards.

I don't wash my hands after handling or feeding them, I only wash them after cleaning out their homes. The only other times I wash my hands after handling rabbits or guinea pigs is if one of them is on quarantine, and when Ive held someone else pet to prevent sharing germs.
:lol: :bunnyhop:

Latest posts

Back