Register

Help with my first pedigree

A place to discuss the particular challenges and ethical issues facing the breeder of pet rabbits today.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 823.00

Help with my first pedigree

Post Number:#1  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:15 pm

So I am creating my first pedigree, I have all the names of the parents, grandparents, and great grandparents all in place and everything is perfect but I need some help with the top part, the one with the rabbits info. So I am typing up a few weeks before sale so I have tome to work out the kinks and I need some help with the weight, since they are babies, how do I do this? Do I just leave it for the next owner to fill in when they have reached full weight? Should I tattoo them or let the owner decide?

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,488.00

Re: Help with my first pedigree

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Just leave the weight blank. I like to tattoo the kits before they leave so that I can have its tattoo in my paperwork
Show Breeder & ARBA Judge

1 year of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I sell my kits around 5 to 8 weeks, what age would you recommend for tattooing the babies?

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 505.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MeadowView » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 am

Many places it is illegal to sell before eight weeks. Just FYI. You do you, but rabbits rarely leave here before 12 weeks. You can’t properly evaluate before that age, anyway. I tattoo at weaning, usually six weeks, sometimes later. It’s when I get to that “I need to know who is who” stage.

1 year of membership

Post Number:#5  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 pm

I just wish there where laws about age. There is an insane breeder who sells at 3 weeks "cause they can eat solids". I always wean at 5 weeks

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,488.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:03 pm

I wean at 6-8 weeks, then sell minimum 2 weeks after weaning (so 8-10 weeks). I would never sell a rabbit under 8 weeks old, prefer to not sell one under 10 weeks. It's illegal in many states to sell that young, but it also increases the chances of weaning enteritis and other diseases to wean that young - and once they are weaned it can take a few weeks for their bodies to adjust to not having milk, which is a stressful time on them so I'd rather them spend that time with me (which is why they stay at least 2 weeks).
Show Breeder & ARBA Judge

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
golden rabbitry