Register

No symptoms but....

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,410.00

No symptoms but....

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Lots of cocci spots on the livers of the three fryers I butchered this week. :(

Will cocci slow growth even if it is causing no visible symptoms? This batch of fryers looked the peak of heath but had stopped growing while still eating like hippos.

Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,334.00

Re: No symptoms but....

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:06 pm

I've had the odd kit that grew normally though it had a spotty liver when we processed it. I think in young kits it probably has more effect on growth than on fryers.

How old were the kits in question? I seem to remember a noticeable slow down in growth around the 12 week mark, even where cocci is not involved. Then they'd take another spurt and be ready by 14-16 weeks.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
michaels4gardens

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,410.00

Re: No symptoms but....

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:23 pm

MaggieJ wrote:I've had the odd kit that grew normally though it had a spotty liver when we processed it. I think in young kits it probably has more effect on growth than on fryers.

How old were the kits in question? I seem to remember a noticeable slow down in growth around the 12 week mark, even where cocci is not involved. Then they'd take another spurt and be ready by 14-16 weeks.

I think about 16 ish weeks? Maybe more, maybe less? I will have to look that up. Not good at remembering dates, me.

Two of that litter I have kept back, one that grew well at the beginning and outpaced the rest and one red with good color.

We were all MOST cross at not being able to eat the livers but they caught about 12 pounds of catfish so not a total loss. :lol:

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens