No symptoms but....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Lots of cocci spots on the livers of the three fryers I butchered this week. :(

Will cocci slow growth even if it is causing no visible symptoms? This batch of fryers looked the peak of heath but had stopped growing while still eating like hippos.

I've had the odd kit that grew normally though it had a spotty liver when we processed it. I think in young kits it probably has more effect on growth than on fryers.

How old were the kits in question? I seem to remember a noticeable slow down in growth around the 12 week mark, even where cocci is not involved. Then they'd take another spurt and be ready by 14-16 weeks.

MaggieJ":3b95s7kx said:
I've had the odd kit that grew normally though it had a spotty liver when we processed it. I think in young kits it probably has more effect on growth than on fryers.

How old were the kits in question? I seem to remember a noticeable slow down in growth around the 12 week mark, even where cocci is not involved. Then they'd take another spurt and be ready by 14-16 weeks.

I think about 16 ish weeks? Maybe more, maybe less? I will have to look that up. Not good at remembering dates, me.

Two of that litter I have kept back, one that grew well at the beginning and outpaced the rest and one red with good color.

We were all MOST cross at not being able to eat the livers but they caught about 12 pounds of catfish so not a total loss. :lol:

Latest posts

Back