WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?! pregnant w/ no explanation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
So my rescue doe is very fertile and has 7 babies almost every time. I just weened her unwanted kits (2 litters w/ no explanation how in a row) and I place her out of the baby cage and into her own and I feed her hay in the morning like I feed all my rabbits and she pulls it into her house and made a nest. It has been 5 weeks since she had her last litter and I moved the babies into the grow out cage with her about 2 or 3 weeks ago. She was caged next to a purebred doe, I think. I don't remember but if I am wrong she was next to my main buck. There is a wooden wall between cages except for a small wire window but I highly doubt that they could mate through it. My other doe had babies from that buck unexpectedly after their false pregnancy but that was a "happy accident". I'm so confused how this all happened. When I am done with the 6 condo cage I am completely moving my buck far far away. Is this all possible????

it's a familiar story, welcome to the world of rabbits. Just think.. if a human could make "breeding" happen if they really wanted to, a rabbit can also. Lots of litters are fathered through a wire cage divider. - and, some pregnancies remain a mystery

well the "false pregnancy theory" was just debunked, she had 2 kits meaning that she must have gotten pregnant only days after her last litter, is that safe for her?

golden rabbitry":18o8duho said:
well the "false pregnancy theory" was just debunked, she had 2 kits meaning that she must have gotten pregnant only days after her last litter, is that safe for her?

She will be fine [most likely],- however, [as you know] your cage [housing] situation needs improvement..

Back