Register

Rabbit Mantras

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
BunnyBucks: 50.00

Rabbit Mantras

Post Number:#1  Unread postby countitjoy5 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:29 pm

I'm new to rabbits, trying to study up but the rabbit mantras are tiresome. The solution to every problem in life is not a trip to the vet. Have heartburn? You need a trip to the vet. Unwieldy hairs growing out of your nose? A trip to the vet will hold you over until next week. And the rabbit vet, it has to be a rabbit vet so you can pay 10 times more - even if there is only 1 of those within a 500 mile radius it's no trouble. Maybe I should start my own alternative rabbit medicine clinic, I could probably make a fortune. I love my rabbits, but not so much that I'm will to foreclose on my house for. My mantra is, nice to pet, funner to chew.
"Don't get me wrong, I love animals, I just love to eat them more." - Jim Gaffigan

The following user would like to thank countitjoy5 for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,634.00

Re: Rabbit Mantras

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:22 am

I raise meat rabbits,
if a Rabbit "needs" to go to the vet.. it is not "a keeper",
it will be repurposed, for use as a meal ..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,960.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:36 pm

a rabbit would have to be $500 import to make me feel like it's worth bringing to a vet, lol. if anyone gets too sick or injured they just get upgraded to dinner and a pelt instead.

i find it's pretty much only pet rabbit people that subscribe to the HRS' rhetoric that are so vet crazy.
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
blog: @frithyeerfarm | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 3,410.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 pm

I rarely take rabbits to the vet. I’ve had rabbits with mites; after sanitizing the cage and giving the rabbit oral ivermectin from Tractor Supply, bye bye mites! Ear mites - baby oil, mineral oil, similar oil in the ear. Sore hocks - keep cage clean, put in a resting mat/tile and put topical ointment on the jocks. There are many common problems in rabbits that can be treated at home. :) Now, when my best show doe got a nasty UTI and teeth issues, we went to the vet. I’d suggest doing some research on this forum since many members have home treatments for common diseases/problems.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,100.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby hotzcatz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:38 am

We never take them to the vet, there's only one on island who's any good with rabbits and he's 42 miles away. By the time we got there, the bunner wold be gone already.

Between the internet, Merck's Veterinary Manual and supplies from the feed store, there shouldn't be any reason to take rabbits to the vet.

Rats, mice and rabbits have been laboratory animals pretty much ever since there's been laboratories to be lab animals in. If you look at the medical sites instead of pet rabbit sites, then you can get all kinds of information about the repair of rabbits.

These aren't pets, they're livestock. What's the replacement costs verses maintenance costs? Plus, they're eminently edible. Tasty, even!

Basically, any time you find a website that doesn't allow you to discuss rabbit recipes, you'll find the "OMG! Fluffy looks sad! Take him to the vet right away!" sorts of responses.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com