Register

Rabbit Mantras

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
BunnyBucks: 50.00

Rabbit Mantras

Post Number:#1  Unread postby countitjoy5 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:29 pm

I'm new to rabbits, trying to study up but the rabbit mantras are tiresome. The solution to every problem in life is not a trip to the vet. Have heartburn? You need a trip to the vet. Unwieldy hairs growing out of your nose? A trip to the vet will hold you over until next week. And the rabbit vet, it has to be a rabbit vet so you can pay 10 times more - even if there is only 1 of those within a 500 mile radius it's no trouble. Maybe I should start my own alternative rabbit medicine clinic, I could probably make a fortune. I love my rabbits, but not so much that I'm will to foreclose on my house for. My mantra is, nice to pet, funner to chew.
"Don't get me wrong, I love animals, I just love to eat them more." - Jim Gaffigan

The following user would like to thank countitjoy5 for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,462.00

Re: Rabbit Mantras

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:22 am

I raise meat rabbits,
if a Rabbit "needs" to go to the vet.. it is not "a keeper",
it will be repurposed, for use as a meal ..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,940.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:36 pm

a rabbit would have to be $500 import to make me feel like it's worth bringing to a vet, lol. if anyone gets too sick or injured they just get upgraded to dinner and a pelt instead.

i find it's pretty much only pet rabbit people that subscribe to the HRS' rhetoric that are so vet crazy.
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
blog: @frithyeerfarm | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 3,410.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 pm

I rarely take rabbits to the vet. I’ve had rabbits with mites; after sanitizing the cage and giving the rabbit oral ivermectin from Tractor Supply, bye bye mites! Ear mites - baby oil, mineral oil, similar oil in the ear. Sore hocks - keep cage clean, put in a resting mat/tile and put topical ointment on the jocks. There are many common problems in rabbits that can be treated at home. :) Now, when my best show doe got a nasty UTI and teeth issues, we went to the vet. I’d suggest doing some research on this forum since many members have home treatments for common diseases/problems.