Register

Barn Ideas for over 100 New Zealands

Advice on purchasing or constructing cages and hutches for your rabbitry.
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Barn Ideas for over 100 New Zealands

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Rabbitrich » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 pm

I'm new to this site and rabbity, I have grown a fast high interest in this. I have been looking for ideas to build by barn and so far I'm leaning towards custom building a metal car port type 20X30 with shade covers mid way up all the way around to help control shade, insulate the roof and have some type of fan system to help with circulation. I would like to get to 100 rabbits by year in and maybe one day get to 300. What would you suggest our do you have any pictures of your barns that can hold this many rabbits. It does not get too cold in Louisiana but the heat is definitely a concern. Please advise.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,666.00

Re: Barn Ideas for over 100 New Zealands

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SixGun » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Metal car port and pole buildings work well, but in Louisiana you'll need to worry about heat, as you are already aware. Insulating a barn and providing adequate ventilation are going to be your priorities.
You can determine the size building you need after you know what size holes you're going to use. 24" x 24" for a NZW production doe is I think within ARBA standards.
Now, when you say you want 100 rabbits, does that mean you want 90 does and 10 bucks, all of producing age? If so, you would be at 300 in 31 days from your first breeding date, or more likely about 450+. A NZW doe in a production facility can produce at least 40 kits a year.
You're in the right place to learn lots. Ask them questions.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,411.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:33 am

I would recommend 24 deep, by 36 long as a cage size for doe and litter. [i assume you are going to raise meat rabbits]
I have worked with 24" by 30" they are a little too tight for large does and large litters. You will need to build the rabbitry in 100% shade [under large trees is best] -- you need a backup plan for extremely hot days IE: an air conditioning system, and or sprinklers on the metal roof. A large rabbitry can be destroyed in a few hours, if temperatures stay above 90 [in the cage area] . Rabbits generate a lot of heat... and does near their kindling date will die first...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 am

I would recommend 24 deep, by 36 long as a cage size for doe and litter. [i assume you are going to raise meat rabbits]
I have worked with 24" by 30" they are a little too tight for large does and large litters. You will need to build the rabbitry in 100% shade [under large trees is best] -- you need a backup plan for extremely hot days IE: an air conditioning system, and or sprinklers on the metal roof. A large rabbitry can be destroyed in a few hours, if temperatures stay above 90 [in the cage area] . Rabbits generate a lot of heat... and does nearing their kindling date will die first...

BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Rabbitrich » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Very good information!!! I was thinking about have a custom carport looking building and putting insulation in the roof to help control the heat. around the sides have insulted metal covers all the way around. This would allow circulation being it will not be enclosed. I will have commercial grade fans to help with circulation as well. I did not realize how many they could produce to I appreciate that insight for sure. I would like to get over 300 producers but I'm trying to walk into this and go through the learning curve. And yes, Louisiana is very hot so I must plan the heat accordingly! I will look for watering systems on this site, I'd like to hook my water hose up an connect it to pvc piping with nipples in each cage.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#6  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:16 am

Rabbitrich wrote:Very good information!!! I was thinking about have a custom carport looking building and putting insulation in the roof to help control the heat. around the sides have insulted metal covers all the way around. This would allow circulation being it will not be enclosed. I will have commercial grade fans to help with circulation as well. I did not realize how many they could produce to I appreciate that insight for sure. I would like to get over 300 producers but I'm trying to walk into this and go through the learning curve. And yes, Louisiana is very hot so I must plan the heat accordingly! I will look for watering systems on this site, I'd like to hook my water hose up an connect it to pvc piping with nipples in each cage.

water pressure from the hose is too much, you will need a tank with a float valve at least 3 feet above your cages, that feeds your rabbit watering system.
If you plan to have a large rabbitry, ...I would recommend building your own with an elevated water trough,[with a cover] and a water trough float valve... Over buying one of the small ready-made "float valve tanks". Several times in my rabbit raising history, I have had power/ water outages that lasted for several days... having a 80 gallon tank of water feeding the watering system , prevented a serious problem .