Pellet Change Advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyAuntie

Reaction score
I've been trying for about a month to slowly change my rabbits pellets from Small Pet Select to Oxbow Essentials. He just picks out the Small Pet Pellets and leaves the Oxbow. He's eating fine otherwise, just being fussy. Does anyone have any advice?

feed less pellets , so he stays just a little hungry, he may start eating a little more of the "left behind" Oxbow. - .. and if you are feeding low calorie "Oxbow Adult", it is not going to "taste as good" as rabbit pellets that contain some grain..

That's a good idea, thanks! I don't think it's low calorie. It has the same ingredients as the Small Pet, just listed in a slightly different order.
Do pellets have a smell? The Small Pet just has a slight hay-ish smell but the Oxbow has a stronger 'tangy' smell... has it spoiled?!?

BunnyAuntie":12ly6iya said:
That's a good idea, thanks! I don't think it's low calorie. It has the same ingredients as the Small Pet, just listed in a slightly different order.
Do pellets have a smell? The Small Pet just has a slight hay-ish smell but the Oxbow has a stronger 'tangy' smell... has it spoiled?!?

look at the manufacturing date on the feed bag,
Oxbow thinks their feed is good for a year.. it is not, .. it's good for 30 to 60 days [if stored cool and dry] just like everyone else...
If feed does not look and smell good to you, it is not good...
If the feed does not smell good to you, it for sure will not smell good to a rabbit ..
- old feed is moldy feed, mold toxins are very bad for rabbits...

Ok, thanks. The best by date on the bag of Oxbow is 2021! Really!?!?
I guess I'm going to have to figure out somewhere else to store the pellets. I have them off to the side in the kitchen but I guess it gets too warm with the wood cookstove. They are a ways away but... I'll find somewhere else to put them.

Latest posts

Back