Register

I give up on EVER thinking I know anything!

A place to post bits of news, ideas, musings and other things that don't really fit into the other forums.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,240.00

I give up on EVER thinking I know anything!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Went out today to check on three junior does due their first litters. No litters.

But my senior doe Tax who was due last week was carrying a mouthful of hay and when I looked in her hide box there was a brand new litter.

The buck she lives with had, of course, peed on them so queue his removal, nest box placement, removal of the kits to a safe location as she frantically makes a nest and the one question in my mind is.......

This is day FOURTY for you my darling, HOW ARE YOU HAVING KITS TODAY!?!?!?!

And unlike my usual of having them with a buck so needing a window instead of a due date, she was bred on a certain day by a certain buck and lived totally alone until day 33 came and went.

So, day 40, and a stunning litter of mostly harlequins and tricolors is ultra welcome but how how how???

__________ Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:59 pm __________

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S7zPfvyitZfChsX9A

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wWzrhUUJ4jw1Tqt86

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PjAntzMgtXQUcMb89

The doe has Harli and tri four generations back in her pedigree and the buck is a booted tricolor.

:D

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 9,810.00

Re: I give up on EVER thinking I know anything!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm not saying it was aliens but...
:beammeup:

...... :lol:
Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:26 pm

ohiogoatgirl wrote:I'm not saying it was aliens but...
:beammeup:

...... :lol:

Mum says I should rename her Mary! :lol:

michaels4gardens

1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 696.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:27 pm

my rabbit just had a litter and she hasn't had contact with a buck in months, she also gave birth on day 42, God has a sence of humor, at least you have a litter! Good luck with those!

Post Number:#5  Unread postby GBov » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:17 pm

Have to admit to being not only weirded out by it but if they all start doing this, how am I EVER going to be ready for litters? :shock:

Not complaining though, 7 live and beautiful kits? Priceless!

__________ Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:17 pm __________

Had to juggle cages and rabbits and cross my fingers and everybunny is back in a cage for the night.

The entire rabbitry moves on Wednesday so the three junior does should deliver in proper time to make it all as stressful on me as poss. :lol:

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,411.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:45 pm

In my years of rabbit raising I have seen some very late litters, .. and .. some unexplained things - I once had a doe, who had weaned a littler, I was going to cull her, so she was not rebred, she was put in a cage away from the other rabbits...... we got snowed in for a few weeks, and I got busy and didn't get her butchered ... rationalizing,... that it was OK she needed to gain some weight anyway... two months later she had a perfectly healthy litter in the back corner of her cage... I got no clue how it happened...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Post Number:#7  Unread postby GBov » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:21 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:In my years of rabbit raising I have seen some very late litters, .. and .. some unexplained things - I once had a doe, who had weaned a littler, I was going to cull her, so she was not rebred, she was put in a cage away from the other rabbits...... we got snowed in for a few weeks, and I got busy and didn't get her butchered ... rationalizing,... that it was OK she needed to gain some weight anyway... two months later she had a perfectly healthy litter in the back corner of her cage... I got no clue how it happened...

I am so glad I am not the only one! :lol:

michaels4gardens