I give up on EVER thinking I know anything!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Went out today to check on three junior does due their first litters. No litters.

But my senior doe Tax who was due last week was carrying a mouthful of hay and when I looked in her hide box there was a brand new litter.

The buck she lives with had, of course, peed on them so queue his removal, nest box placement, removal of the kits to a safe location as she frantically makes a nest and the one question in my mind is.......

This is day FOURTY for you my darling, HOW ARE YOU HAVING KITS TODAY!?!?!?!

And unlike my usual of having them with a buck so needing a window instead of a due date, she was bred on a certain day by a certain buck and lived totally alone until day 33 came and went.

So, day 40, and a stunning litter of mostly harlequins and tricolors is ultra welcome but how how how??? <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:59 pm __________ <br /><br /> https://photos.app.goo.gl/S7zPfvyitZfChsX9A

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wWzrhUUJ4jw1Tqt86

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PjAntzMgtXQUcMb89

The doe has Harli and tri four generations back in her pedigree and the buck is a booted tricolor.

:D

my rabbit just had a litter and she hasn't had contact with a buck in months, she also gave birth on day 42, God has a sence of humor, at least you have a litter! Good luck with those!

Have to admit to being not only weirded out by it but if they all start doing this, how am I EVER going to be ready for litters? :shock:

Not complaining though, 7 live and beautiful kits? Priceless! <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:17 pm __________ <br /><br /> Had to juggle cages and rabbits and cross my fingers and everybunny is back in a cage for the night.

The entire rabbitry moves on Wednesday so the three junior does should deliver in proper time to make it all as stressful on me as poss. :lol:

In my years of rabbit raising I have seen some very late litters, .. and .. some unexplained things - I once had a doe, who had weaned a littler, I was going to cull her, so she was not rebred, she was put in a cage away from the other rabbits...... we got snowed in for a few weeks, and I got busy and didn't get her butchered ... rationalizing,... that it was OK she needed to gain some weight anyway... two months later she had a perfectly healthy litter in the back corner of her cage... I got no clue how it happened...

michaels4gardens":1db2hc8y said:
In my years of rabbit raising I have seen some very late litters, .. and .. some unexplained things - I once had a doe, who had weaned a littler, I was going to cull her, so she was not rebred, she was put in a cage away from the other rabbits...... we got snowed in for a few weeks, and I got busy and didn't get her butchered ... rationalizing,... that it was OK she needed to gain some weight anyway... two months later she had a perfectly healthy litter in the back corner of her cage... I got no clue how it happened...

I am so glad I am not the only one! :lol:

Back