Farm fresh wool roving!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been so busy but I wanted to pop in real quick and let you guys know about something I've been working on. :mrgreen: My sheep flock is up to 2 rams, 20 ewes, and 19 lambs at the moment. :p I'll have to come back with some pics to post.

I am working on getting wool ready to send to the mill. I'm putting out feelers for people who would be interested in some. Fingers crossed, I am working on a 'pre-sale' for anyone interested in a pound or more of roving. This would let me get the money together to have it milled, and it'll be a sale price for those willing to pre-buy and wait for it to be milled.

$560 is how much I need to send the wool to the mill.

If I had a few people interested in several pounds of roving so that I could circumvent kickstarter and fees etc.. It would be up for $40/# roving (that's $2.50/oz, regular price is $3.50/oz).
I would need to presell at least 14# at the shares price to cover milling. I don't want to presell more than comes back though so I would not presell more than 19#. And of course it would be picked between the different runs. Doing it that way it would be...
Run 1 up to 3#
Run 2 up to 5#
Run 3 up to 4#
Run 4 up to 7#
...available for presell at the share prices. Total 19#.

I am working on washing the fleeces. Once everything is washed I'm going to pull locks from each run for sample pictures. Locks, hand carded, and spun up for sample pics.

Run 1- The first run of roving is a mix of white texel wool, white shetland wool, and blue-grey wool from one of my ewe sheep (Pigpig). This will be a medium fineness overall and I expect it to be a light grey blend.

Run 2- The second run of roving is a mix of white fleece (won first prize 2018 great lakes fiber show), white shetland/cormo from my ram sheep (Butthead), and border Leicester that was hand dyed teal blue by me . This will be a fine fineness overall and I expect it to be a nice touch of blue blend, since the dyed locks are appx 12% of the total fiber.

Run 3- The third run of roving is a mix of three fleeces my on ewe sheep and one fine cream alpaca fleece. Mary (shetland/cormo/other), 184 (shetland/border cheviot), 185 (shetland/cormo/border cheviot). This will be a fine fineness overall and I expect it to be off-white.

Run 4- The fourth run of roving is a mix of many fleeces from my flock. Some are fine fleece shetland, some shetland/cormo, some other crossbreed. It is made up of two cream fleeces, one light brown, two light grey, one dark grey, one black. This will be a fine fineness overall and I expect it to be a cinnamon-grey blend.

Latest posts

Back