Register

The heat, the heat, the heat

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,240.00

The heat, the heat, the heat

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Tue May 28, 2019 7:15 pm

Had to bring one of my does in today as she was seriously stressing.

And yet we are all just talking about global warming.

We all need to get onto the Save The Humans bus and get busy but nobody seems to be worried even!

As an experiment, I put a post on FB to see if I could get anyone interested in planting just 5 trees and passing the goal along. A chain letter with a difference.

Nobody even commented.

Such a simple thing to do and yet if all 9 billion of us did it we could turn this game around.

We are all going to DIE and no one cares! I feel like I am sitting on a train about to crash, screaming stop stop stop while everyone on the train looks at me like I have two heads.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
Ghost

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,411.00

Re: The heat, the heat, the heat

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed May 29, 2019 4:15 am

Just to see if I can help you feel better, I want you to know...... I planted 10 fig trees, and 10 Haskap blueberries last week ..
[however... it was purely selfish]
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 am

michaels4gardens wrote:Just to see if I can help you feel better, I want you to know...... I planted 10 fig trees, and 10 Haskap blueberries last week ..
[however... it was purely selfish]

Not selfish, WONDERFUL! It has made me feel better. :D

So many trees can be planted in such a small space and still leave room left over. Makes me mental that something we all can do and so few are doing it.

10 Fig Trees? Blimey, you must love figs! :lol:

michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 275.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby dfr1973 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:49 am

We've been planting trees here since we first moved down in Feb 2013. Some didn't make it the first couple years, but others have: a tangerine, two different lemon varieties, a limequat, a Mexican lime, three orange trees, a sweet kumquat, and two dwarf pomegranates, and I have two peach trees and one avocado tree in pots while we figure out where the best spots for those are. Of course, hurricanes Matthew and Irma took down four or five established trees, but that just gives us room to plant more fruit trees.

Honestly, I cannot figure out why people who claim to be worried about climate change/global warming/carbon footprint don't plant trees every chance they get, but then some of the same people will fly somewhere exotic for vacations too. Me? I am not so concerned about that kind of thing. I plant trees because 1) I want them, and 2) I'm old enough to remember John Denver singing about planting trees for the Arbor Foundation. Trees take in our CO2 and breathe out O2, along with providing habitat and of course SHADE.

The following user would like to thank dfr1973 for this post
michaels4gardens

Post Number:#5  Unread postby GBov » Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm

I love trees and have planted hundreds in my lifetime, mostly fruit trees.

But as I drove along not long ago I saw a HUGE Live Oak and suddenly thought, what are you made of? And where does it come from cause if it all came from the ground you should be sitting in a rather large hole in the ground. :lol:

"Almost 98% (by weight) of a tree is made up of six elements: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur.

So where does the mass come from? The mass of a tree is primarily carbon. The carbon comes from carbon dioxide used during photosynthesis. During photosynthesis, plants convert the sun's energy into chemical energy which is captured within the bonds of carbon molecules built from atmospheric carbon dioxide and water."

So there you go, trees take the single major greenhouse gas and turn it into wood. How cool is that?

__________Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm __________

Had to bring Taz in again today. She loved it so much yesterday that she jumped into a box to be carried in all on her own. :lol:

The bathroom is now a bunny zone.

But this heat is brutal!

michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 275.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby dfr1973 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:22 pm

I don't bring bunnies inside - something about a retarded dog and a jealous cat. It gets weird enough when chicks are hatching in the incubator. Lacey just kindled yesterday morning, seven live kits this time (and one that may have been stillborn), so I am still pushing the envelope despite the heat. If we get sub-90* temps for at least three days in the next couple weeks, I'll put her in with each of the bucks just to see if I can get a litter in July. My goal is a relatively heat tolerant line. The lady I got Jack (opal Rex-furred but no papers) from came up from south Florida, and said her line doesn't hit heat sterility until 92*. I'd love to expand that to 95 if possible.

Just for giggles, my family in northeast Indiana are complaining about a cold spring. An online correspondent in Wisconsin was grumping about a morning this past weekend when it was only 46*! I'll take this heat over a tornado any day.

* Fahrenheit, we're in the US here.

The following user would like to thank dfr1973 for this post
michaels4gardens

Post Number:#7  Unread postby GBov » Thu May 30, 2019 11:54 am

I have never brought in one before but she is my biggest doe and she is suffering. So am I.

Breed year round and the ones that manage it pass the heat tolerance along down the line.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,666.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby SixGun » Thu May 30, 2019 12:11 pm

Its been one of our coldest springs and early summers in decades. We are nowhere near as warm as we should be.

Years and years ago my uncle, a Johns Hopkins professor and NASA researcher explained to me the cyclical nature of the earth's atmosphere. Of course humans mess it up, spped things up, slow things down, but there is nothing about our ecosystems, atmosphere, earth in general that is static and a constant.

Remember, megafires are a result of conservation efforts.

The following user would like to thank SixGun for this post
michaels4gardens

Post Number:#9  Unread postby GBov » Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Yep. But we have mucked it up a bit and should do our mite to fix it.

Had to bring her in again today. She is loving this. :lol:

She is my biggest girl, long and lanky and bred to my meat brick shaped main buck should produce keepers but only if she lives. And she is so sweet.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#10  Unread postby SixGun » Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm

I agree, we should try to help. There is no fix. Because like forestry, sometimes we dont know what is broken. Trying to put a butterfly back in its cocoon is misguided, but may seem like a logical choice if you think it belongs there.

That said, I plant trees, always have. But here in AZ, planting mesquites for shade will kill off all your other plants. They're waterhogs. Our natural landscape will be forever changed by the introduction of mesquite trees into the grasslands of the Southwest.

We just don't have enough information. The world is infinitely complex. And I love that. Maybe we'll do better with Mars. But I kind of doubt it. In general humans do the best for themselves.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby GBov » Thu May 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I tell people all the time, just plant something, ANYTHING!

Less than 1,000 years ago almost complete forest blanketed the northern hemisphere and only fragments of that forest remain and we are simply mowing the rainforest down now.

Trees take the greenhouse gasses and turn them into timber, and they do it fast. But even shrubs and berry bushes do it so just plant something.

Everybunny needs a future.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,411.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 am

SixGun wrote:Its been one of our coldest springs and early summers in decades. We are nowhere near as warm as we should be.

Years and years ago my uncle, a Johns Hopkins professor and NASA researcher explained to me the cyclical nature of the earth's atmosphere. Of course humans mess it up, spped things up, slow things down, but there is nothing about our ecosystems, atmosphere, earth in general that is static and a constant.

Remember, megafires are a result of conservation efforts

i agree with this,
.. The only danger in promoting this "theory" is, - many folks take licence from this, and use it as an excuse to be disrespectful ,and further trash and pillage the planet.
JMHO, ...Global warming stopped for almost 20 years, it was only after we started to reduce "air pollution", that the increase began again.
My "theory" is, ... the amount of carbon in the air had reached the point that it was shading the planet. Cleaning it up just a little, started the temps rising again. Although man made mess is part of the total problem, it is nothing compared to "natural disasters" ...IE: fires, and volcanic eruptions. The Earth has been much, much warmer than this ,in its history...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
SixGun

Post Number:#13  Unread postby GBov » Fri May 31, 2019 9:15 am

.. The only danger in promoting this "theory" is, - many folks take licence from this, and use it as an excuse to be disrespectful ,and further trash and pillage the planet."

Yes indeed, it is like people see it as a challenge! :roll:

In my more positive moments, I believe we can come together as a species and work it all our, peace and harmony in our time......

In my darker times, I believe we are all just doomed.

This weekend will see the move finished. Downsizing again into a camper in a final attempt to live within our fixed income. Two years ago there was enough money to buy our little house but roll on the new financial times and the same amount of income is not enough to pay the bills and feed us.

The sugar I buy just went up by $2.35 AND in the last year it not only went up a further dollar but it also lost a full pound of weight. So it now costs $3.35 more than this time last summer but there is less of it. And that is just one of many.

There is a limit to how much one can reduce, reuse, recycle, and downsize and we have now hit it. But I am grateful to have the chance, most people could not do it as campers are not legal to live in most places.

Well, if the waters don't boil too soon I will be able to get in some fishing which will be nice.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#14  Unread postby SixGun » Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 am

Agree, michaels4gardens. Interference, by 'helping' or otherwise from humans seems to be the basis of many a problem. But IMO, even natural disasters are better for the planet than humans. Volcanic ash in the atmosphere, sucks for a bit, for photosynthesis, but the nutrients into the soil promotes amazing growth. Tsunamis, tragic for humans living on the coast. Wipes the slate clean for that coast line. Redistributes nutrients again, opens up vegetation, trees, etc. Momentary set back, in the passage of time in the big picture. Forest fires. We are now well documented in the benefits. Yes, here in AZ we could lose an endangered species if we get a bad fire in a specific spot, but thats the roll of the dice. That species is endangered because it only lives in that one spot, because the rest of the habitat no longer works. And how much that truly depends on human interference and not global change over the last thousand years or so of the desert.

OK Off my soap box. I find global change a fascinating subject. And the more honest discussion the better.