Just wondering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubbybunnies

Reaction score
I have heard that it is better to breed a doe to 2 males in the same day? Something to do the males competing? Is there any truth to this?

Also, if there is, could a female have kits from 2 different males in the same litter?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question. Just got me thinking.

michaels4gardens":2loqr9gs said:
I have experienced increased litter size [numbers] when breeding a doe to two bucks back to back,
the theory is...the sperm is competitive so has more motility, in the presence of sperm from another buck...

Thanks. That’s what I was kind of going for.

Now, since there is multiple eggs, and I was assume both the most viable sperm from both males would fertilize the eggs, is there a way that you could get litters that have 2 different fathers? I.e. out of a litter of 8, 4 kits from buck A and 4 kits from buck B?

michaels4gardens":kqr4yeub said:

Awesome! I’m going to have to try it out. I’m just breeding for fun and to see what comes out, all while putting food on the table. Starting to keep the best and eat the rest. This should be fun.

This could get fun - I put Shalimar in with all four of my bucks (one at a time, natch) in one morning earlier this week. I'll be able to tell which kits are whose offspring by coloring, so I am *really* hoping she carries to term this time (she's only 1-for-4 this year, but I don't know how old she is).

I tried it once but the second buck attacked the doe because she smelt of his hated rival.

Never tried again.

Would love to hear how your tries turn out. :popcorn:

dfr1973":74dbvrou said:
This could get fun - I put Shalimar in with all four of my bucks (one at a time, natch) in one morning earlier this week. I'll be able to tell which kits are whose offspring by coloring, so I am *really* hoping she carries to term this time (she's only 1-for-4 this year, but I don't know how old she is).

Keep us posted! That would be crazy to get kits out of all 4 bucks! I had a litter that I put 2 bucks in with the female, but I think my otter Rex was still trying to figure things out then. He’s gotten a lot better, but I do have some very dominant does that still give him a run for his money. They end up mounting him. I have a doe to breed tomorrow, hopefully I can get both the bucks to mount her. I just tried to breed a doe on Saturday, but after the first buck, she shut down and wasn’t interested in the other. I did breed a doe about 2 weeks ago to both bucks and got 4 fall offs in about 20 minutes between the pair.

dfr1973":25r5lqfk said:
Wow, it's been a month already, and I have June kits! Shalimar kindled 3, and so far the only buck 100% not-the-daddy is Larry, a broken blue NZ/Rex F2 (regular fur but carries the Rex gene). If Jack is a sire, there is one he definitely did not throw- I either have a black or castor along with two self-blues. Both Dutch-Boy and George (black otter miniRex) have thrown self-blue kits, and Jack has throw self-solid kits before (one self-black, one seriously gold) while George has also thrown a self-black last year. In a few days I ought to be able to see if the kits' whiskers are straight (regular fur) or curled (Rex-furred).
:bunnyhop:

While no fun mystery like Shalimar's litter, MaryAnn also kindled today, a litter of 5 live kits and two dead. One of the dead looked underdeveloped, while the other one was bloody and I suspect it got stuck and died when she pulled it out. MaryAnn has *only* lifted for Jack so far, and she is due for retirement because she is so difficult to breed.

Lacey has not been inclined to lift yet, and we now have lower 90sF daytime highs. However, in about a week - *IF* the forecast holds true - we should have another round of <90* for 4 or 5 days, so there is another window of opportunity.

Latest posts

Back