Only 2 kits, twice now.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what is going on here. One of my purebred satin does has given me just 2 kits now for the 2nd time. 1st time was last october and I thought it was a buck issue, I had used one of my growouts before he went to the freezer. This time was with a proven buck.
This is her 4th litter and she is just shy of 2yrs old. 1st litter was 12 kits, 2nd litter I can not find my record of but I believe was 6ish.
I did notice some blood on her cage floor after the last mating but I thought she had gotten scratched on cage wire. Could it have been something else?

It's quite possible that she has some internal fat buildup. I would breed her several times in quick succession and see if that helps. It usually does with my does after summer. Sometimes it takes 2 litters and the third is much larger.

Success! I bred her on the 29th to my main herd sire, and got 7 kits this morning. I cut her pellets down by half for the morning feeding and she got just hay and some fresh greens for the evening. She had had 1 surviving kit which I kept on her till the litter this morning. :bunnyhop:

Back