Register

Will hay compost along with rabbit poop?

Advice on purchasing or constructing cages and hutches for your rabbitry.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,460.00

Re: Will hay compost along with rabbit poop?

Post Number:#31  Unread postby GBov » Fri May 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Google Ruth Stout garden method and learn all about hay in the garden. :D

I use a modified method as my sand is so devoid of anything for growing veg that mulch alone is not enough. One big round bale of cow hay - with mega weed and grass seeds - laid down about a foot thick onto my garden area. Then mushroom compost is rowed out on top of the hay.

Any weeds that show up through that lot get a new handful of hay tossed over them.

Dig free gardening that works great.

The hay/poo from under my rabbit cages gets heaped up around any of the fruit trees that need it. Banana plants ALWAYS need it here, they are such hungry plants.

Hay breaks down, if you use it for mulch you have to put it on regularly. Hay plus rabbit manure breaks down even quicker.

"If you buy in hay, you are buying someone else's fertility for your land!"

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,353.00

Re: Will hay compost along with rabbit poop?

Post Number:#32  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 pm

I compost my rabbit poo and hay and straw scatterings at the local community garden. That stuff breaks down so fast and the food and flowers coming from the compost is amazing! I have chutes under my rabbit cages so I'll scrape a bucket full of berries and then go flinging it on my front yard like some type of demented sower LOL!

I wash the rabbit chutes throughout most of the year in the back yard--I need to stop, do it it in the front yard. This spring I've had to mow the back yard 8 times compared to my 1x up front.
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

Previous