Register

A giant mess and no idea how or why

A place to discuss the particular challenges and ethical issues facing the breeder of pet rabbits today.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 853.00

A giant mess and no idea how or why

Post Number:#1  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Sun May 19, 2019 4:33 pm

basically I have 2 does. 1 gets pregnant by just looking at a buck but I don't what her as a breeding doe(she also always had giant litters) and my second doe has wonderful bloodline and is a great mother but 50% of the time she has a false pregnancy. Last week she had one and this morning my other doe had 7 kits and i didn't even know she was pregnant or how. I don't know if I should sell my bad doe and get a new younger doe that doesn't have so many false pregnancies. I am also moving the other doe far away from all the bucks cause this is pathetic.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,075.00

Re: A giant mess and no idea how or why

Post Number:#2  Unread postby hotzcatz » Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 pm

If you only have two, you're gonna need both to keep from inbreeding the herd, IMHO. Fertility is a good trait, cross her with an offspring of the other doe and then see if you get a quality rabbit that is fertile.

As for how she gets pregnant, she's meeting up with a buck somewhere. How close is her enclosure to any buck's enclosure? If they don't share a wire wall, then either she or a buck is escaping and going visiting.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 355.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby dfr1973 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:56 pm

I gotta ask: by what standards are you judging these does? Excellent fertility sounds like a desirable trait IMO.

The following user would like to thank dfr1973 for this post
michaels4gardens

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 853.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Tue May 21, 2019 6:51 pm

well the doe that had babies is a complete mut and just a pet whereas the other is a show rabbit that I want to breed babies from