Care after dental abscess?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
My only Rex doe had stopped eating, I treated her for parasites, and nothing seemed to help, took her to the vet to find out she had a massive dental abscess. She had 4 molar teeth pulled and they had to drain it from the underside. She's on a course of Baytril now which I inject every morning. The infection spread to the bone so now we're dealing with osteomyelitis as well.
She has a chance but the outlook is concerning. We're going to keep on with the treatment seeing as she already went through the whole surgical procedure(and the bill for that was not fun).

The only problem is she now has no molars on one side of her lower jaw. The vet said we'll have to keep trimming the top molars down because they won't get worn.
Does anyone know how often we would have to get that done? We want to do what's best for the rabbit, but a recurring cost and stress of dental work does have to be a part of the total decision.

Also feeding. It's been a struggle trying to get her to eat. So far she'll eat fruit, and I've syringe fed her pureed carrot with probiotics. She's still drinking at least.
What else can I try to get her interested in eating?
Also the vet recommended she get mostly hay as soon as she'll eat it. The teff/Timothy hay seems a bit painful at the moment. Should I try alfalfa? It might entice her.

She hasn't been put on pain meds. Is there anything natural I can use for pain relief?

I wish you the best...
However, .. I have not personally seen a good long term outcome after multiple molar extractions like you describe.. and, unless you think you can do the tooth trimming yourself [trimming front teeth is easy, molars -not so easy] -- that will be an ongoing cost as long as she lives...
So, after she heals, [assuming the bone infection is overcome] ... and you can see how she acts, and eats .. you will have to decide about "quality of life", and decide whether or not, ...you can cope with the cost of maintaining her...
Glad you are giving her probiotics ...
** antibiotics should be accompanied by, and followed with, a good probiotic.. [to re-establish beneficial digestive bacteria in the gut ]

Back