Two toned sides?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a rex like that, basically its an orange but with a super, aka RR for orange and RR for super mixed to make this. nothing more that alittle white blend, dont know whats its called, what i just said is how people explain poultry genetics but its the same thing. This site has most all colors and maybe you can find the exact name
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ge ... pes-chart/

It's countershading. A lightening of the red pigment on the sides. Pretty normal in rabbits (found in wild rabbits as well to a degree). Through selective breeding you can get darker sides that match the body color (like in new zealand reds) but without selective breeding for that color you see this pattern show up a lot.

in my rex i find when they're around that age it's super obvious but the two colours even out as they get older. by the time they're adults you shouldn't be able to really see it.

Yep, my last herd they used to grow out of it but I started to wonder what caused it and why.

Now when/if they sell I can tell the buyer that they will even out over time and be sure I am not fibbing. :lol:

Back