Register

Might have blown $200 on a bad buck, mad at myself(rant)

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 631.00

Might have blown $200 on a bad buck, mad at myself(rant)

Post Number:#1  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Wed May 08, 2019 11:36 pm

So I am normally a very sound person, I think things through and ask God what to do, but I am starting to doubt my decision on buying this buck. I've never ever done something so spontaneous but something that felt like the holy spirit said go for it and jump so I did. I always go through craigslist to see if there are any rabbits cheap for what they are and I came across this harlequin black and orange Holland lop buck pedigreed and all, so I contacted the owner for the pedigree and they send me this perfect bloodline with winners and all the guts so I ask for the price and they originally paid like $400 for him and I only would pay $180 so I was like sweet! The only thing is i was so happy about the bloodline and price i didn't pay to much attention on the actual names of the rabbits and the original breeder the people got him from.So we go and get the rabbit and he is stunning. He was bought as decoration for their house, very bad vibes from those people. They gave everything that came with him, cage, bedding, feed, everything included for free. I breed him the next day to my fav doe and she is due any day now. Today I decided to type of the pedigree for the litter and I notice that several of the parents of Binkie(his new name) have no ear number and are inbred. He was inbred, his father was his mothers father! yikes! So i went to the original breeders web site and they breed for fashion, but not fur?!They breed pretty colors for photo shoots and stuff. I contacted them for permission of tattoo and they didn't even know to tattoo rabbits or any of that. So I go and finish the pedigree template but I'm low key pissed at myself for not looking closer. I've only been breeding for 2 years and started with a doe i rescued and a buck that is my childhood pet. Didn't plan on going so far let alone spend so much money. I don't know if I can pedigree with missing tattoos and such but the entire thing is making me really scared for how this litters gonna turn out. Never done this and hope yall have some advice...

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,314.00

Re: Might have blown $200 on a bad buck, mad at myself(rant)

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu May 09, 2019 5:19 am

roll the dice, and see what turns up...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,204.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby alforddm » Thu May 09, 2019 6:37 am

Being inbred isn't a bad thing in rabbits. It's quite common for breeders (especially commercial breeders who are happy with their production) not to introduce new rabbits for 10 years or more. Daughters back to fathers is a very common cross.

If he's a gorgeous rabbit in other respects don't worry about the inbreeding. Just treat him like you would any other buck and evaluate his offspring on their own merit.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,408.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Fri May 10, 2019 5:00 am

If they're breeding for color and 'pretty rabbits for photo shoots', and don't know about tattooing it's probably not a high quality rabbit. A harlequin too, which isn't a recognized color (its used to make tricolor so it can be useful in some breeding programs, but because its not showable usually isn't priced as high). Inbreeding is not a problem. Missing ear numbers isn't a big problem either (as long as they have names). Missing weights though, and the rabbit can't be registered, though it's pretty common for breeders to forgot to add weights (you just have to contact them and get the weights usually).
Show Breeder & ARBA Judge