Traumatized After Mating

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LillyoftheValley

Reaction score
This is my first time posting, and my first time breeding rabbits. :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Anyway, I have a 1 year old male 98% German Angora and an 8 month old female 50/50 German/French. He's a bit bigger than her.

I tried mating them, and she WOULD NOT HAVE IT. I put her in his cage, and she pushed her rear right into the corner, growled and bit him if he came near her! She's usually incredibly sweet, but she was in such a panic, she even snapped at me when I reached in to save her!

My neighbor, who's raised and shown rabbits for 30 years, gave me several pieces of advice that I didn't really like, such as holding her down. She also suggested that my bun might be a bit young and I could wait a month to try again. Fast forward a month, and my rabbit did the same thing.

The time around I put my male in another cage so I could put her alone in his cage overnight so she could get used to his scent. Didn't work. As soon as I put him in his cage with her, she acted really scared, scooted her behind against the corner and snapped at him. She was even making a vocal noise in fear!

For a few days after both attempts, instead of running to the front and propping her front legs up on the door, eager to see me, she hops to the back of her cage when I approach her. I can't reach her at the back of her cage. I love her! I don't want her to be or mad at me or scared!

She came out of her slump the first time, and I'm confident that she'll get over it this time, too, but poor thing! What is going on??! Why is she acting like this??! What should I do?

It likely hormones from being introduced to the buck that's making her aggressive towards you and him, itll likely go away after a while.

I would wait a couple days and try again. Is her vulva red I. Color as this means she is fertile. She may be on one of her off days which is likely why she is being agressive. Also she may just not be ready and if so just give her a couple months and try again. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back