Improving a does litter size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubbybunnies

Reaction score
Is there any magic wands to wave to do this?

:explanation:

I have some testy does that just run from a buck. I usually only get about one successful fall off per breeding. I like to stay out in the yard while mating is happening so I don’t come back to find a castrated buck.

michaels4gardens":3smfs72c said:
When I had a lot of rabbits, I found that litter size was improved, by breeding the doe to two different bucks back to back.
"sperm competition" seems to be a viable theory in my experience.

That’s a pretty good idea! Didn’t think along those lines. I have a male that’s pretty good, and a male that 1) just can’t seem to quite figure it out and 2) seems to produce blood every time he mounts a doe.

I would love to figure out what his problem is, because he is an otter Rex and I love his color. If he can’t figure it out soon, he may be headed to camp to make way for someone that can.

He’s extremely eager, but he’ll mount the head, and just about anything, but then leans a couple of drop of blood when he moves off. I gave never seen him fall off yet.

Litter size can sometimes be improved by back to back breeding. Does can put on internal fat that decreases litter size even if the does don't look to plump on the outside. This can be especially true with does who are allowed to mature before breeding (8 months or so) or who are given a break of several months (like over summer or winter).

One of my does had a litter of 3, then 2. I was getting ready to cull her but decided to breed her one last time in case I needed a foster for a first time doe. She had 8. I believe the repeated breeding brought down her internal fat enough to increase litter size.

alforddm":1hn351u0 said:
Litter size can sometimes be improved by back to back breeding. Does can put on internal fat that decreases litter size even if the does don't look to plump on the outside. This can be especially true with does who are allowed to mature before breeding (8 months or so) or who are given a break of several months (like over summer or winter).

One of my does had a litter of 3, then 2. I was getting ready to cull her but decided to breed her one last time in case I needed a foster for a first time doe. She had 8. I believe the repeated breeding brought down her internal fat enough to increase litter size.

Thanks! I think I will keep this one doe in particular, due to her being a great mom! She has a litter of three and all did well, than had a surprise litter about 21ish days later of 4. I had a doe with another litter of three 2 days before and they weren't gaining any weight, so now she has all 7 and she’s doing wonderful with all of them. They will be a week ild tomorrow, so I hope they start opening their eyes soon.

On that topic, and I hope not to offend anyone, but what’s your opinions on playing god? My wife believes to just let the mothers either take care of them and not to mess with them. I felt like if I have to opportunity to put them with a good mom, why not?

michaels4gardens":1hn351u0 said:
be sure to look at the bucks penis, to make sure it is "normal" , ... a split penis sometimes has "symptoms" like you mentioned...

What exactly does a split penis look like?!

split penis
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_di ... lit_en.htm

I like to even out litters, and will put the biggest kits with the best milking doe. Litters of kits grouped by size will do better than leaving some big kits and some small kits with the doe.
If i have an older doe that is fading, that I want more replacements from, I will foster her kits to a doe that is younger and a good milk producer.

Latest posts

Back