Sterile rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlehillfarms

Reaction score
Hi, I am in 4-h and wanted to breed this really nice rabbit to my doe (who has already had a litter) I have been trying to breed the two together but nothing. my other doe won't get pregnant by him either. I would hate to sell him but if he is sterile I can't afford to keep him if he isn't bringing anything in. is there a way to make sure he is sterile and it isn't just human error?

Hi! Welcome to RabbitTalk. :hi:

There can be any number of reasons why you aren't getting kits from your rabbits.

A few that come to mind:
- The buck is sterile from very high temperatures. This is usually temporary, but it can take a few weeks or months for his sperm to be viable again.
- The does are too fat. Even if they don't look plump, they can accumulate fat in the body cavity and that makes it hard for them to conceive. The older the does, the more likely that is to be a factor as it accumulates over time.
- The actual matings are not properly completed. Sometimes the does won't "lift" for the buck (won't raise their butts and move their tail out of the way) and his sperm may not be deposited in the doe's vagina. In this case, the buck will mount the doe but won't usually have a proper fall-off.

If any of the terms I've used are unfamiliar, let me know and I'll explain further. More detail about your rabbits' ages and condition will help us to make educated guesses as to the reason they are not producing for you.

it hasn't been hot I live in central Oregon. the rabbits are shown winners and are in perfect condition for breeding as far as I can tell, that's the part that is stumping me. I have been breeding polish for 3 years but this is my first time with New Zealand's I thought it would be just as easy but...

Please add your location to your profile. Just your state is fine. It is helpful in questions such as this.

When you put them together and the buck mounts the doe, does he do a classic "fall off"? Or does he just hump her for a bit and then quit? Does she lift for him?

Latest posts

Back