Register

No sneezing but white crusts around nose?

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 903.00

No sneezing but white crusts around nose?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Shea » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm kind of lost here. Haven't run into any illness yet with my herd till now.
Keller my herd sire has been a house bunny for a good 6 months now. I noticed this morning he hadnt touched his feed, very unusual. And last night/day before he didnt want to come out of his cage. Just now I found white crusts around both nostrils. Looked like hardened marshmallow, and he is still off his feed and seems lethargic. Yet I havent heard any sneezing and his forepaws are clear. No major change in diet though I did give him a little bit of foddered wheat that was grown for some grow outs, but he does have free range of the house for a bit every day.
I did a thorough clean of his cage and set him up with a bowl of oats and hay w/some pellets. I will be quarentineing from the rest of my herd but what else can/should I do?

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
South Africa
BunnyBucks: 2,629.00

Re: No sneezing but white crusts around nose?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby LittleFluffyBunnies » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 am

Crusts on the nose make me think of syphilis, but I don't know if the crusts are white.
Breeding pet Dwarf and Dwarf Angora rabbits. A rabbit fanatic!
LittleFluffyBunnies Rabbitry-Breeding Quality Dwarf Rabbits in South Africa
http://www.littlefluffybunnies.weebly.com
https://www.instagram.com/littlefluffybunnies/

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,092.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 am

I would treat for infection, and hope it is a respiratory illness, other than pasturella ... [and of course quarantine]
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 903.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Shea » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:47 am

He hasnt drank anything since I refilled his water bottle yesterday, and I had put in a small dish of molasses water as well to try and tempt him. Will try to syringe some water into him on my lunch break.

-- Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 am --

michaels4gardens wrote:I would treat for infection, and hope it is a respiratory illness, other than pasturella ... [and of course quarantine]

I have some baytril on hand, but Im fairly certain that is more for abscesses then possible a respiratory infection.

-- Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 am --

Well im wrong on that count. I will start him on some baytril when I get home. Prolly will crush up and syringe feed with molasses water.

-- Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:47 am --

Update: He is doing much better this morning. He perked up some yesterday evening wether it was from the baytril, or time Im not sure.
No more signs of nasal discharge. He ate some parsley and fresh greens I picked up for him. He is drinking again and passing some stool though they are tiny and few.

The following user would like to thank Shea for this post
michaels4gardens