Register

Farewell to Elsie, our Pilgrim Goose

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,334.00

Farewell to Elsie, our Pilgrim Goose

Post Number:#1  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 am

elsie_demure.jpg
Elsie - 12 years old.
elsie_demure.jpg (228.17 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Two weeks ago, when Brian went down to let the birds out for the day, he found that our beloved pilgrim goose, Elsie, had died in the night.

She'd been a little "off" for a few days, so it wasn't completely unexpected, but it hurts all the same. She was almost 13 years old, and there wasn't a day since she came to us as a three-day old gosling that she didn't make me smile.

Geese get a lot of bad press, but female Pilgrim geese are sweet-natured and gentle. Even the ganders are only a bit troublesome during the mating season.

We hatched our first gosling, Willow, under a broody hen in 2005. Willow and I always had a special bond. The next year, she raised Elsie and Ben, special-ordered from Oregon, along with her own mixed-breed goslings. Unfortunately, Pilgrim geese are prone to low fertility rates, so we never managed to raise any of our own. I had hoped to help establish the breed more strongly in this part of Ontario, but it didn't work out that way.

Elsie's passing marks the end our our homesteading ventures. Since then, without her protection, we lost our remaining two hens to predators. We'd never had a daytime loss in over ten years, and I attribute that to the geese. It's sad, but I feel truly blessed to have had those many years with the chickens, rabbits and geese. Especially the geese, Elsie and Willow.
Attachments
Elsie_pool_wings.jpg
She loved a good splash!
Elsie_pool_wings.jpg (118.63 KiB) Viewed 242 times
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Homer, LittleFluffyBunnies, michaels4gardens, Zass

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 956.00

Re: Farewell to Elsie, our Pilgrim Goose

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ghost » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Sorry for your loss.
-/-(

The best you can do is give them a good life while they are here.
You have to do the most good for the most. You must remember that a few won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks, Ghost. And you're right . . . it's all we can do.

Elsie had a long and very happy life. I'm sure she had no complaints. We're lucky here to have 32 acres . . . Our poultry had the run of it, though they stayed fairly close to the house.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,400.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby GBov » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:16 pm

So sorry, she sounds like she was a lovely bird. Geese are really fun.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks, GBov . . . and also to those who acknowledged my post. It helps to talk about her with people who understand. The yard sure is quiet these days.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,167.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Homer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 am

:o So sorry to hear of Elsie's passing Maggie. I know how fond you were of her having seen all the times you brought her up in your posts. Water fowl are very entertaining to have around. Better that ANY alarm system you could ever buy!

The wife and I have Ancona ducks (for eggs) right now and no matter how bad your day is a few minutes watching them always brings a smile to your face.

R.I.P. Elsie.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
MaggieJ

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#7  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks, Homer. Yes, waterfowl are different from other poultry. What I loved most about our geese was that particular combination of sweetness and mischief. It sounds like your Anconas are fun to have around too.

I get a lump in my throat when I look out the kitchen window at the yard and the empty sheds where our geese, chickens and rabbits lived. But I do it anyway because the sadness is followed by a wave of happy memories and a deep gratitude that I had those wonderful years with them.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,167.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Homer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:40 am

You can always PM me your mailing address and some will show up on your doorstep Maggie. :twisted:

Everyone needs a good watch dog or three around the yard. ;) I've heard Pilgrims are good rattlesnake killers too.Yikes!
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Homer, you quack me up. :lol:

Thanks, but no thanks. Truth is, both Brian and I are too gimpy to make taking care of them enjoyable -- especially in winter. I'll make do with the wild birds and critters I can see from the house and yard -- no shortage of those -- and with the one indoor moggie :catmoon: who sits on my lap and acts as a typing impediment.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .