Should I....or is it to risky??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
So I just got my pedigreed pair and they are ready to breed but if I do, then they will only be ready in early june and I want to avoid babies in summer because it gets so hot here. It wouldn't be as hot as later in the year and it would only be a few weeks with them in the heat AND I have fans and cooling systems but I don't know if I should do it.... this is my first pedigreed pair and it's super tempting.

i used to live in texas and i would breed my rabbits until they went sterile, usually my last litters were in june/july. i would freeze gatorade bottles and give them to the does on their due dates to make sure they didn't overheat during kindling, then take the nestboxes inside during the day and bring them out in the evening/morning for feedings then keep them in the a/c. once they were old enough to leave the nest they generally would do fine with fans in the shed and ice bottles during the hottest part of the day. our summers got in the 100s, often the 110s regularly, and very humid so misters didn't help much. i never had a heat stroke death in the time i lived there, so i feel like shelving and liberal use of a cooling system may work for you pretty well :)

It's just one litter. You can get an indoor plastic bottom cage and let her and the kits spend the summer indoors. I prefer having litters indoors because it's convenient to handle the kits more often to socialize them.

Back