Register

Blood

One recipe per topic, please, to allow for comments and tweaking.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Slovenia
BunnyBucks: 1,050.00

Blood

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Nika » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:39 am

How could it be possible to use blood? I saw some guy on the TV yesterday who made pancakes and instead of milk he used blood. I know only one recipe containing blood- black pudding, but I would really like to use every part of a rabbit so I am wondering if you have any recipes?

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Re: Blood

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:54 am

I fill a bucket partially with water and drain the blood into that (to prevent it from coagulating) and then pour the bloody water onto our plants- but I did find this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_as_food
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Great Britain Female
BunnyBucks: 400.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby myrkari » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:00 am

I'm sure I've seen someone use it in ice cream and in cake - you know, on one of those Masterchef type programmes. I'll try to find the details when I'm home from work.

You can dry it into a powder in a low oven and use that as a fertiliser ingredient (blood meal, bone meal etc) or just pour it diluted onto the soil like MSD says; I hear this also has the bonus effect of warding off prey-type animals who smell it and worry your garden isn't safe, but I'm not sure how true that is. I bag and bin mine, because I have concerns about flies etc, and also close neighbours who I don't want to see me strolling around with a bucket o'blood or see a weirdly red-tinged patch of garden :/

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 am

Does using it on plants attract certain animals? I know my dogs show a LOT of interest in the area where I butchered my chickens last... pretty sure they were licking the ground (more than a week after the fact!). Interesting thought though... might have to try it!
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,875.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Zass » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:08 am

Always seemed like a lot of nutrition to be wasted.

I usually add it to my dog-food bucket. (Sometimes it ends up in a cooked dog food. )

I've also added to a pan as a sauce ingredient if I happen to be butchering and cooking meat at the same time. Meat with blood and oil sauce...sort of like what you find in the pan after searing steak, just...more of it.

I'll see about adding it to baked goods...maybe I'll get lucky and it will have some of the binding properties my gluten-free flour lacks..

Great Britain Female
BunnyBucks: 400.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby myrkari » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:56 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabidela

Here's a relevant recipe found during a little search - a Portuguese rabbit stew, where the rabbit's blood is diluted to form the cooking liquid. Sounds like something I'll have to try, if I remember to take a clean collection dish out with me next time it's processing day - usually I have a grubby old bucket, which would not do!

__________ Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 pm __________

I'm home from work and I've found the name of the sweet blood dessert I remembered from the cooking show; it was sanguinaccio dolce. These are a couple of articles about it, each of which also has a recipe:

http://www.chicagonow.com/cooking-cop/2 ... d-treat-2/
http://www.emikodavies.com/blog/blood-c ... guinaccio/

It's traditionally only with pig's blood and I have never tried to make it at all, let alone with rabbit's blood, so I don't know if there would be any change in taste or texture or set with the two different species... but perhaps I'll give it a try. I love to cook, and although I don't normally use the blood from my rabbits I'm not so squeamish that I won't experiment. I doubt I will get anyone else around here to eat it with me, so I'll probably only make a teensy batch.

It's between two and four weeks til my current oldest litter reach processing weight so I won't be able to report back til then at the earliest, and it's entirely possible I'll forget before then... But I'll try to remember :lol:

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,875.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Zass » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Rabbit blood seems to have a very clean flavor.
It tastes a lot like my own, when I've licked a cut.
Last edited by Zass on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BunnyBucks: 1,621.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby BlueHaven » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:07 pm

I know blood pudding and blood sausage is a common food to see on Bizarre foods with Andrew zimmern. I would think youtube would have something on it.
Worth a look see. Most gravy is made with the drippings, and that's just fat and blood cooked down, so I would think you could at least make a gravy with it.
Might be good. Liver filters the blood is it mighty tastey to me.

BunnyBucks: 5,920.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby funnies50 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Lol, yipe :shock: :lol: I do know that it can be used in blood pudding, and blood pudding does taste very good :yes: But that's an interesting idea. :)

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,255.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby a7736100 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:06 pm

One would have to process several rabbits to get enough blood to make a meal.

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 916.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Ghost » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:06 am

I have thought about mixing the blood into a gravy. I haven't tried this, because I've only processed a few rabbits.
You have to do the most good for the most. You must remember that a few won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".