Blood

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nika

Reaction score
How could it be possible to use blood? I saw some guy on the TV yesterday who made pancakes and instead of milk he used blood. I know only one recipe containing blood- black pudding, but I would really like to use every part of a rabbit so I am wondering if you have any recipes?

I'm sure I've seen someone use it in ice cream and in cake - you know, on one of those Masterchef type programmes. I'll try to find the details when I'm home from work.

You can dry it into a powder in a low oven and use that as a fertiliser ingredient (blood meal, bone meal etc) or just pour it diluted onto the soil like MSD says; I hear this also has the bonus effect of warding off prey-type animals who smell it and worry your garden isn't safe, but I'm not sure how true that is. I bag and bin mine, because I have concerns about flies etc, and also close neighbours who I don't want to see me strolling around with a bucket o'blood or see a weirdly red-tinged patch of garden :/

Does using it on plants attract certain animals? I know my dogs show a LOT of interest in the area where I butchered my chickens last... pretty sure they were licking the ground (more than a week after the fact!). Interesting thought though... might have to try it!

Always seemed like a lot of nutrition to be wasted.

I usually add it to my dog-food bucket. (Sometimes it ends up in a cooked dog food. )

I've also added to a pan as a sauce ingredient if I happen to be butchering and cooking meat at the same time. Meat with blood and oil sauce...sort of like what you find in the pan after searing steak, just...more of it.

I'll see about adding it to baked goods...maybe I'll get lucky and it will have some of the binding properties my gluten-free flour lacks..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabidela

Here's a relevant recipe found during a little search - a Portuguese rabbit stew, where the rabbit's blood is diluted to form the cooking liquid. Sounds like something I'll have to try, if I remember to take a clean collection dish out with me next time it's processing day - usually I have a grubby old bucket, which would not do! <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'm home from work and I've found the name of the sweet blood dessert I remembered from the cooking show; it was sanguinaccio dolce. These are a couple of articles about it, each of which also has a recipe:

http://www.chicagonow.com/cooking-cop/2 ... d-treat-2/
http://www.emikodavies.com/blog/blood-c ... guinaccio/

It's traditionally only with pig's blood and I have never tried to make it at all, let alone with rabbit's blood, so I don't know if there would be any change in taste or texture or set with the two different species... but perhaps I'll give it a try. I love to cook, and although I don't normally use the blood from my rabbits I'm not so squeamish that I won't experiment. I doubt I will get anyone else around here to eat it with me, so I'll probably only make a teensy batch.

It's between two and four weeks til my current oldest litter reach processing weight so I won't be able to report back til then at the earliest, and it's entirely possible I'll forget before then... But I'll try to remember :lol:

I know blood pudding and blood sausage is a common food to see on Bizarre foods with Andrew zimmern. I would think youtube would have something on it.
Worth a look see. Most gravy is made with the drippings, and that's just fat and blood cooked down, so I would think you could at least make a gravy with it.
Might be good. Liver filters the blood is it mighty tastey to me.

Lol, yipe :shock: :lol: I do know that it can be used in blood pudding, and blood pudding does taste very good :yes: But that's an interesting idea. :)

One would have to process several rabbits to get enough blood to make a meal.

I have thought about mixing the blood into a gravy. I haven't tried this, because I've only processed a few rabbits.

I was just thinking about how to use blood, thank you all for sharing your insight! I might at the very least save it for the dogs, or gardening seeing as the texture of blood pudding and sausage turns my stomach. Also a7736100 has a great point, you'd need A LOT of blood to make a pudding, rabbits don't bleed out all that much in my experience.

I was just thinking about how to use blood, thank you all for sharing your insight! I might at the very least save it for the dogs, or gardening seeing as the texture of blood pudding and sausage turns my stomach. Also a7736100 has a great point, you'd need A LOT of blood to make a pudding, rabbits don't bleed out all that much in my experience.
It is typically used as a dry powder when you buy blood at the garden shop. It is great source of nitrogen as well as other trace micronutrients. You simply add it to your compost pile. Another way to use it would be to mix it up in a bunch of water before it coagulates, then water plants with it. Spin it up with some rabbit manure too!

It likely lacks the acid to use with baking soda/powder. It should be pH neutral. But then milk is pretty close to neutral too..

It is typically used as a dry powder when you buy blood at the garden shop. It is great source of nitrogen as well as other trace micronutrients. You simply add it to your compost pile. Another way to use it would be to mix it up in a bunch of water before it coagulates, then water plants with it. Spin it up with some rabbit manure too!

It likely lacks the acid to use with baking soda/powder. It should be pH neutral. But then milk is pretty close to neutral too..
Thank you Zee-Man, I'll try this on butcher day!

Around here 'blood' is frequently a Halloween type of offering. I'm not sure what much more is in it other than blood, it's a dark pudding type of thing. Pretty tasty but not sweet so it's not a typical pudding.

Back