Any ideas?!?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubbybunnies

Reaction score
Calico buck and doe

image.php

3 kits to black mom and unknown buck

image.php

3 young does

image.php

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The calico ones look like a lionhead cross, probably harlequins I think the term is?(edit: or Torts not to sure on those colors. ) Mostly a dwarf breed. The doe is most likely pregnant already so count out 30 days from when you put them together. The other does are probably of the same mix.

Shea":1u105s9r said:
The calico ones look like a lionhead cross, probably harlequins I think the term is?(edit: or Torts not to sure on those colors. ) Mostly a dwarf breed. The doe is most likely pregnant already so count out 30 days from when you put them together. The other does are probably of the same mix.

Thanks! I was worried that was the case. Is there any way to grow the herd? If the mom is the smaller of the pair, could I breed with say a Rex buck? Is it going to just give smaller litters? Will she more than likely have complications?

Yes, looks like lion head/lionhead crosses.

Looks like a harlequin and a tort color wise for the buck and doe.

When breeding differently sized rabbits, it is best to not breed a larger buck with a smaller doe. Obviously a pound probably won't make a difference but a full sized rex to a dwarf breed doe might cause complications. A mini rex would be a better bet.

LittleFluffyBunnies":154n39mq said:
Yes, looks like lion head/lionhead crosses.

Looks like a harlequin and a tort color wise for the buck and doe.

When breeding differently sized rabbits, it is best to not breed a larger buck with a smaller doe. Obviously a pound probably won't make a difference but a full sized rex to a dwarf breed doe might cause complications. A mini rex would be a better bet.

Bummer! Looks like they may be heading for a pet home then. No sense in feeding them if they won’t get big enough to eat. Any futur investments will have to go into stock of at least dual purpose rabbits. I really like SF and Rex as a breeds. I think I can play with them and get some pretty cool color coats as well as a decent quantity of meat production.

Has anyone crossed these two before? Weight? Outcome?

I did have to cull the buck of “tort/harlequin” yesterday. Not only was he borderline mean, at the very least skittish and thumped the ground when you came near, but he also had a runny nose. Do you think with the runny nose he is still safe to eat? All the internals looked fine. The lungs looked smooth and as normal as I could imagine from everything I have read on here.

First time processing. It went very well. He was older so it to some pulling to get the pelt off, but after that it was easy. I figured why not practice on him. I do have him saved in the refrigerator. I got 1.5 lbs of meat from him after dressing and dividing the meat up.

All of the mini breeds are made of rabbit meat! I have eaten many many many mini rabbits. :lol:

Have crossed Rex with both New Zealand and with Angora. Both the crosses give normal coats, although very thick ones, and nice wide loins.

Rex are my favorite, if you love a color, it already exists so all you have to do is find it.

Your rabbits look lovely but if you want large rabbits, get some large rabbits. ;) I always recommend people get mature mutts of Craigslist to learn with. The learning curve is steep and sometimes heartbreaking. It is worse if your rabbits are valuable as well.

Word of warning, you will never have enough cages or space or rabbits. Enough is never enough.

GBov":2apdozqw said:
All of the mini breeds are made of rabbit meat! I have eaten many many many mini rabbits. :lol:

Have crossed Rex with both New Zealand and with Angora. Both the crosses give normal coats, although very thick ones, and nice wide loins.

Rex are my favorite, if you love a color, it already exists so all you have to do is find it.

Your rabbits look lovely but if you want large rabbits, get some large rabbits. ;) I always recommend people get mature mutts of Craigslist to learn with. The learning curve is steep and sometimes heartbreaking. It is worse if your rabbits are valuable as well.

Word of warning, you will never have enough cages or space or rabbits. Enough is never enough.

Thanks, I did have the idea to just grow them and eat them, but I can get a return in investment and reinvest in something more along the lines of what I’m looking for.

The thing I like about the Rex’s are the size as well as the litters are pretty unpredictable with the recessives colors. The nest box is, I assume, full of silly little colorful bundles of fun, then dinner.

The kits are so in your face funny and a grab bag of colors, I have one right now that I have NO IDEA what color it is, looks red with smutty seal points. Looks like it has been playing in an ash pile. :lol:

The first time these kits were out of their nest I threw in a big handful of mustard leaves and one of them ran up, grabbed a leaf firmly in its teeth and pulled. The leaf came with the pull so the bunny stood up on tiptoes, still pulling to get its bite out and the leaf came with it. It then stood up on its hind feet, still pulling until the bunny toppled over onto its back, almost covered by the mustard leaf. It was still chewing the leaf and omg so funny!

Those little calicos are cute!
Generally I try to breed either 'pets' or 'meat' and only sell as they are bred. Good on you for culling the buck for personality issues. If it's a pet breed then it needs to be a good pet. I can't stand to hear from breeders that have 'pet' breeds that have bad attitudes/bite hard/skittish and continue to breed them.

Rexes make nice meat and pelt breed or so I've heard, so it may be nice to invest in them. They also come in many pretty colors.

Around here Silver Fox is one of the top 'meat' breeds. Fast growing with good weight, and many people have pedigrees so you can keep track of your breeding stock. I've even been tempted to breed it into the Vorpal(a local-unknown breed) bloodlines that I have but I think I'm not going to outcross.

Back