Brainworm?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swaggymama

Reaction score
Well, the litter born December 18 will be 15 weeks old tomorrow.

I still have all 11 of them... and I'm thinking this weekend they'lll be processed, save for 2 females and 1 male, which I'll be replacing my adults with.

As for the adults...we think one of our male adults might have gotten brainworm... he got really wierd... wouldn't eat right... then seemed like he had an issue with his leg... within 24h he was pretty much just crawling around in circles... told DH to put him out of his misery... DH went out a few hours later to get it done but the rabbit had already died.

The 2nd male is now doing the same thing... their hutch is separate from the other hutches, but WTH?

How do I avoid this?

I've never heard of rabbit "brain worm" but if you mean "wry neck" it is usually caused by E. cuniculi which is tough to eradicate in the environment

It is not destroyed by bleach or UV but can be killed by 10% ammonia solution. It can be spread through urine (and bucks tend to be more susceptible because they like to spray each other a lot ) so you've got to clean thoroughly

I'd also work toward breeding for resistance to the parasite

That could be what I mean... I don't know much about the illnesses, and DH said some of his rabbits had it when he was young...

Can you still eat those rabbits or is it best to just avoid it altogether?

[JMHO] ..they are edible, because rabbits are always cooked before you eat them ,[JMHO ]

However,
... I have read,

Unless your rabbit "is sick",
...Even if the rabbit is "tested", There is no definitive way to know for sure if a Rabbit is "infected" or just "exposed" ,
... that most Rabbits that were randomly tested for EC, tested positive to this disease...

AND, that humans who have no immune system protection, can get this disease... IE: Humans with severely compromised immune systems (typically those with HIV/AIDS, or on chemotherapy) may be at risk of transmission...

Back