Guard hairs on 9 week old mini rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicelejeune

Reaction score
I want to know what is y'all opinion on guard hairs on my 9 week old. She seems to be a promising show prospect but I'm not sure if she is worth showing or adding to my breeding program if she would be a keeper. First time I get this guard hair issue pop up, will it molt out. :bunnyhop:

I have mini Rex bunnies but I’m not sure what guard hairs are. I’ve probably seen them but never really noticed them. They might molt out, but you never really know.

post and photo so we can see! i breed standard rex and in my experience guard hairs can look a bit long and the coat rough for the first couple of moults, but by the time they are old enough to put on a show table they usually have coated out better.

From my experience (with velveteen lops, not mini rex, though) the guard hairs only got more prevalent with age. They made the baby coat look very dense though. I've heard from some people that breeding them into lines with less density can help it (as long as the guard hairs dont get longer than the undercoat) but from some people that the guard hair issues are hard to breed out.

Back