How noisy should baby buns be?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunarFantom

Reaction score
Hello, this is my doe's second attempt at breeding. First time was an accident and went horribly. (there was no nesting box, when I made one she ignored them, they all died one by one)

This time she did most things right, she pulled fur (she actually emptied the nesting box and replaced everything with fur, it was impressive) and she actually had (most) the kits in the box. (I relocated the one odd ball pretty quick, he was very warm and squirmy so I think I got there pretty quick after kindle)

This was Saturday. It is now Monday. The kits are definitely still alive, and now squeaky. Does this mean they are getting hungry? I don't want to disturb them (first time with this doe made me worry too much interaction with the kits will cause her to abandon them again) but the squeaking is worrying me, I can't find anything on the internet stating that this is normal or to be expected.

We check litters daily for the first week, to see if they are being fed. We do it by removing the next box from the cage, bringing it indoors and checking for any unfed or dead kits, also to remove any wet or soiled material from the nest. Never had a doe abandon kits we'd handled.
In my experience some kits are noisier than others. Usually the noisy ones squeak or squawk when we're lifting them out of the nest--don't know why because they don't seem hurt. If they're noisy in the nest I'd wonder if they were getting enough milk. On the other hand, if they'd been unfed for too long, they'd perhaps be quiet and lethargic.
Hope you get replies from some folks who know more. And good luck with your litter. We're expecting our first for this year in a couple weeks.

Some kits are more vocal than others. I've had some litters that are quite the squeakers. Their squeaking tends to die down once they get about a week old, they pretty much stop by the time their eyes are open from my experience

Rainey":3t85cuem said:
We check litters daily for the first week, to see if they are being fed. We do it by removing the next box from the cage, bringing it indoors and checking for any unfed or dead kits, also to remove any wet or soiled material from the nest. Never had a doe abandon kits we'd handled.
In my experience some kits are noisier than others. Usually the noisy ones squeak or squawk when we're lifting them out of the nest--don't know why because they don't seem hurt. If they're noisy in the nest I'd wonder if they were getting enough milk. On the other hand, if they'd been unfed for too long, they'd perhaps be quiet and lethargic.
Hope you get replies from some folks who know more. And good luck with your litter. We're expecting our first for this year in a couple weeks.

This is my first litter that actually survived (I had 2 attempts before but both times the first time mothers didn't do so hot). When the mothers weren't taking care of them they would be lethargic, but then suddenly SUPER vocal and then quiet again.

These guys are just little out tiny little pips and squeaks so I think you guys are right and they're just being squeaky. I'll have to take pictures soon they're so cute.

Back