rabbit spitting out treats

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blossom

Reaction score
I am concerned about one of my rabbits. He is a Rex mix born in June last year. This morning when I fed everybody he stayed hunched in the corner. He is usually my friendliest rabbit. Always hanging out of the cage for treats and pets. I offered him his favorite treat, a cheerio, and he did get up and take it. But he spat it back out and opened his mouth quite wide a couple times. The he went back to same corner and potion. His butt is clean. What do you think? Oh and hi ears are cold compared to my others.

Sounds like he is in pain, maybe he has gas. Put your ear on his side, listen for gurgling noises and try to softly massage his belly, I put them on my lap and seesaw? teeter? (what's the right english expression for rather rapidly moving up and down?) them, when they seem to relax I continue as long as they don't object. I also give them about 20mg of Simethicone (baby gas drops), either mixed with a little oatmeal, or if necessary with a syringe mixed with food (pellets blended to powder and soaked to a watery mash) or water.

Seperate him to a clean cage to see if he'S pooping, drinking or eating.

Anyway, when one of mine shows this behaviour for some hours I'm off to the vet at the first opportunity, even skip work. Had that happen to a 6yo doe some weeks ago, had to get up every 4 hours to syringe feed her to get her through it. A rabbit not eating is a problem spiralling out of control easily and rather fast.

Back