Will I get tri-colored babies from my rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitlover1

Reaction score
I have two mini rex does that are tri-colored. I had a broken black male that I used to breed with one of them, until I kept one of her babies to breed as well. Then I needed a new male. I was looking for a friend-colored one because we only got tri-colored babies because the buck’s father was tri-colored. We ended up getting a broken chocolate buck, but we have no clue if we will still get tri-colored babies from them. Does anyone know wether or not there is at least a chance? The male is really nice and balanced the does nicely. But I’m not sure wether we will get at least a few tri-colored babies. If no one knows that is fine, but I figured I should ask just in case someone would. I’m hoping to get at least one solid chocolate but I do t know if that will happen. :D I guess we will see what happens when they have babies in the spring. We haven’t bred them yet, but hopefully they will like the new buck.

You'll only get tri colours if the chocolate buck carries the harlequin or non-extention mutation.

If your tri does are agouti based, you should get broken, solid and Charlie harlequinized castors
If your Tri does are tan based you'll get harlequinized black otters
If your Tri does are self based, you should get blacks

Thanks! I think we just have normal tricolor bunnies. The mother of the daughter was from two tricolor bunnies. We probably won’t get tricolor babies but I guess that’s a mystery about it. Unless of course the male has harlequin or tricolor in him. We don’t know what his color origin really is with him. Thanks for letting me know your input on it! :bunnyhop: <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:02 pm -- <br /><br /> Scratch what I said about normal tricolor does. At least the mother is tan based. The daughter is chocolate based I think because she doesn’t have that light tan color, she has a chocolate brown in her tricolor instead of tan. We could easily get some solid chocolates from her I think. :D

Back