Register

The Nest Box 2019

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,264.00

Re: The Nest Box 2019

Post Number:#31  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 am

Shea wrote:Congrats on the red Nymphadora! I am one gen away from getting reds and torts in my littters. As long as one of these nice kits getting fat for me turns out to be a buck and friendly, i will have some very pretty kits come fall.

Thank you! It definitely wasn't expected, and of course DH has already fallen in love with our little redhead. Why does he always go for the colors, rather than the best growers...? :roll: :lol:
(He's adding to my color projects with each litter it seems).
I'll wish you luck with a good chunky buck to carry some torts and red into your nest boxes, too! :good-luck:

We never did get a litter out of Janey last time, so I bred her tonight, along with Juvia. I'm hoping this time I've spread my litters out better. The last couple weekends got entirely taken up with processing because I'd gotten behind schedule and had a bunch of grow-outs to do at the same time. I bred both to Odin (really interested in Juvia x Odin, they should grow pretty chunky), so Elf gets a turn next time we breed. I get better growth from Odin, but Elfman passes on good fur and rich color. Anyway, the buns are (hopefully) in the oven! :oops:

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
michaels4gardens

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,930.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby shazza » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 pm

yep, all my february litters didn't take. the good news is all the does i had rebred a couple weeks ago were very willing and at least one of them is Incredibly moody now, so it seems like march madness is going to be a reality.

at least i got to make myself feel better by going to the local co-op and buying a bunch of chicks ;D
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
blog: @frithyeerfarm | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
Nymphadora

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 280.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby dfr1973 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:24 pm

OK, now I'm really scratching my head here. Brooke finally kindled (she started pulling fur yesterday morning), and she has three big kits ... but not a one looks like Larry, who is a broken blue. I had bred Brooke to Jack, my opal buck, ten days prior to testing with Larry. Jack was busy with Lacey that day, I think, but Brooke lifted for Larry like nobody's business, so I figured the breeding with Jack didn't take. All three kits Brooke just kindled this morning look either opal or blue otter (I haven't sussed out all the recessives yet, see below), which makes me wonder: is it even possible that these are Jack's kits and she went 44 days?? :?: :shrug: :help:

Lacey's six pack is furring in, and will be opening their eyes over the next few days ... and I seem to have lilacs? Lacey is a broken blue of some sort, daughter of broken blue Larry and opal Brooke, bred to opal Jack. Now, Jack *has* thrown a solid gold kit (and a solid black, so I am assuming he carries the recessive self-color solid gene under the agouti), and the lady I got him from mentioned seeing the occasional fawn and lilac, so I guess it's safe to say Jack is also carrying the recessive brown-base, along with recessive extension? Figuring out rabbit genetics, even just for coat color, feels a lot like a game of Clue. MaryAnn, Lacey's littermate, is a broken ... *orange*. I do know Larry's dam is also a broken blue, but either didn't catch what his sire looked like or the lady didn't say. Brooke is an unknown, as I bought her at the livestock auction. So far, she has only had small-number litters of huge-sized kits.

Oh, over on the goat side of things, the smallest of Maggie's triplets died the other night. Apparently he lacked the suckle reflex, as he even spat out his mama's teat when I tried putting it in his mouth. He may also have been blind. The other two are growing and thriving. The firstborn I nicknamed "the Lone Ranger" because he definitely doesn't need anything from me and only seems to need Maggie when he's hungry. The rest of the time he is playing with the older kids. The middle triplet, whom I believe is polled, I nicknamed Mooch. Is happy to take the bottle, and I've even seen him trying to suckle the other nannies! He's now bigger than Ranger due to this mooching habit.

ETA: While I'm at it, Dutch-Boy has blue eyes, even though he appears to my (inexperienced) eye to be a dutch banded castor. Any idea where the blue eyes come from? Would they be dominant or recessive? I think they're cool, but he looks startled all the time.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 965.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby hotzcatz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:40 pm

A day early! Generally, litters are more likely to show up a day late than a day early, but hey! Baby buns!

English angoras, from a chocolate mum (Olivia) x a tortoiseshell buck (Caesar). Statistically speaking, it's much more likely for the three pink ones to be tortoiseshell than Ruby Eyed White, but! (Or should that be butt? As in baby bunny butt? ;) ) anyway, for half the litter to be REW is not statistically likely. Yet, if they are tort, what are the other slightly darker pink ones? Chocolates?

Well, in a couple more days, the colors will be more evident.

FWIW, I think we've got the lack of litters thing figured out. For the past few years, we'd been having problems with no baby bunnies showing up. Now we're breeding them much younger for their first litters and now baby bunnies are appearing much more often. For this particular litter, the doe was five months and one week old and the buck was just over ten months old. I'd thought she was a little young, but she not only had the litter, but a normal sized litter too.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
michaels4gardens

United States of America

Post Number:#35  Unread postby shazza » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:21 pm

well i finally got SOMEONE to kindle!! ten from one of my old does. i'll be keeping a nice daughter to replace her...i will miss the old girl. she's been an excellent doe. ten is her smallest litter to date and i can only hope her daughter is as prolific!

one of my other girls is acting very pregnant but still no real nest and i haven't seen activity in her belly so i'm not holding my breath...

michaels4gardens, Nymphadora

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 958.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby Shea » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Congrats on a successfull litter! Hopefully your other girl kindles for you as well.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,264.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 pm

shazza wrote:well i finally got SOMEONE to kindle!!

:P
So glad you've finally got some babies to play with, shazza! I hope there's a real pretty keeper in that bunch for you. :)

We're giving the girls that should be due their nestboxes this weekend... with any luck we'll have some fresh buns in another week and a half!

United States of America

Post Number:#38  Unread postby shazza » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 am

me too! there's both satin and vm in that litter and i would love a daughter that shows both, but we'll see what i get.

my other girl came through though too! pure harlequin this time from both unproven dam and sire...very excited about these as well. there's a possibility for blue, lilac, chocolate, and black in both magpie and japanese, but so far it looks like there's only blue and/or lilacs, maaaybe one chocolate. i'm still so jazzed.

LittleFluffyBunnies, michaels4gardens, Nymphadora

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 994.00

Post Number:#39  Unread postby Ferra » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:32 am

I'm in the game now! Waiting on results from the two pairings below:

Grand Inquisitor (black tort buck) x Lee Lemon (opal doe)
Beautiful Bro (cream buck) x Goo Bun (black tort doe)

T-minus thirty days!

2019-04-24: T-minus FOUR days!
Last edited by Ferra on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raising purebred French Angora in Alberta, Canada
http://www.angoryrabbits.ca

Instagram: @angoryrabbit

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 280.00

Post Number:#40  Unread postby dfr1973 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am

I have two new litters this week: Shalimar finally carried to term, but two of her five kits are head-scratchers ... first I thought solid white, but closer examination last evening show I somehow have two broken orange from a self-blue and a castor dutch-banded cross? I really need to break out the digicam for y'all. MaryAnn was indeed pregnant, and decided to outdo her sister Lacey not only by making me wait longer, but by having seven healthy little wrigglers. I'll have to see if I can move enough of the mountain of white fur aside to get pics - she pulled enough fur to keep an entire platoon warm.

UPDATES:
Shalimar does indeed have two REWs, not two brokens ... those were dirty paw prints, I guess. Her other three are blue, though! That means Dutch-Boy carries the dilute gene as well as the albino gene (as does Shalimar). Shalimar was rebred yesterday to Jack, and MaryAnn lifted for Dutch-Boy.

Brooke is now on day 37. I felt her belly the other morning, and it does feel like there's some buns in that oven, and yesterday evening it felt like her teats are filling, but still no nesting or litter. Lacey started pulling fur yesterday afternoon, and kindled another six pack overnight. This time, all the kits were in the nest box under a small mountain of white fur. Five look to be broken blue, and one looks like it may be an opal ... these are Dutch-Boy's offspring.

Previous